Chapter 8

It had been a while, since Neil felt this whole and happy. He walked out of the hospital and took a deep sigh, letting his face feel the cool breeze. He wasn't one to go lavish or extravagant but he still wanted to celebrate this moment with the people who were special to him. He knew he had to put his professional game face on for tomorrow's celebratory brunch, but tonight he wanted no professional facades, just a laid back but fun time to absorb all this in.

He had messaged Claire if she was free, but he got to know from the OR scheduling that she was still assisting Andrews on a surgery. He had already planned to meet his sister first so he made a couple of stops on the way, bought a jigsaw puzzle and chocolates, two things his sister loved.

"Neil!", Gabby squealed from her couch at the care home.

"Mi Amorcita (my love)", his eyes started burning as they welled up with tears. He hugged Gabby and kissed her forehead, holding her hands. If his heart could burst, it would right about now.

Neil loved his sister more than anything in the world and the guilt of her being in the care home, always gnawed at his heart no matter how much he tried to make peace with it. He was a surgeon, he trained his whole life to fix people but he also understood that no one can fix everything. The best a person can do for a loved one that they cannot help the way they want to, is to love and support them unconditionally. He hated feeling helpless when Gabby was concerned, but he forced himself each time to be at peace with the fact that she was alive, healthy and so was he. Being a surgeon, he had seen the most traumatic stories of patients. And that gave him perspective and the strength to find peace.

"You got me a puzzle?", Gabby said with a wide smile.

"Sí. You love farm animal puzzles", Neil said closing his eyes to push the tears back in.

Just as Gabby was about to open the box and scatter the puzzle parts, Neil's phone pinged with a message. It was from Claire. "Hey, I was in surgery. I am free now"

Neil's mouth curved into a tiny smile, a tingle vibrated through his bones, as it did whenever he heard from Claire.

Neil: "I just wanted to check if you were in the mood to meet for dinner. How did your surgery go btw?"

Claire: "Surgery went well. Had some complications but we took care of it. I'll tell you about it at dinner. Meet in a couple of hours?"

Neil: "I would love to hear about it. And yes sure, lets. See you soon."

They had fallen into a very comfortable texting routine but it still excited them both just the same.

Neil put his phone away to focus on his sister completing the jigsaw puzzle.

"Who was that?", Gabby asked while picking up a puzzle piece with trees on it

"That was a colleague. Her name is Claire. She is my resident", Neil replied.

"Is she pretty?", Gabby asked in an innocent voice.

"Yes, she is uh... she is very pretty." Neil replied, feeling his chest expanding with a flushing ache. He wouldn't shy away from admitting that Claire Browne was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her kind, nurturing, empathetic and forgiving nature, her angelic yet fierce energy, those deep green eyes.. Oh Neil ardently admired and loved every part of hers.

"Can I meet her some day?", Gabby asked looking at Neil

A surge of emotions went through Neil at the thought of Claire bonding with Gabby.

"Of course. I am sure she would love to meet you", Neil said holding and kissing her hands.

"So guess what, your big brother just got announced as a Co-Chief of Surgery at the hospital." Gabby looked at Neil's big grin, not understanding entirely what he meant but just enough to know it was a big news.

"Is that good news", Gabby asked.

"Yes it is very good news. I will be one of the Chiefs of my department."

"Did you... tell mom and dad?", Gabby asked in a curious tone

"Not yet, I wanted to tell you first. You are my girl". Gabby hugged Neil as hard as she could.

The visiting hours were going to end soon, as Neil was about to put on his coat to kiss Gabby goodbye, she opened a pouch and took out a bracelet. The bracelet had translucent multicolored beads, pink purple, blue and yellow all put together in a random sequence. Gabby had made that bracelet herself from one of the jewelry playing sets Neil got for her before.

She stuck her hand out holding the bracelet and urged Neil to take it.

"This is for her... Claire", Gabby said with a smile on her face.

Neil's heart exploded in so many different emotions at his sister's kindness, creativity, innocence.

"Oh Amorcita, this is so beautiful." Neil whispered as his throat tightened up. "You made this?"

Gabby nodded in a yes and Neil embraced her in a hug, this time letting his tears flow but careful to not let Gabby see.

"I will give this to Claire. I am sure she will love it". Neil hugged his sister again and give her a forehead kiss.

"I will see you on the weekend again and I will take you out. I took permission from the caretakers." Neil smiled through his tears watching Gabby's excitement at his promise.

As he sat in his car, he let out a deep exhale. Neil had good command over stoicism but lately he had allowed himself to be more vulnerable, with himself. He started his Tesla and pulled out of the parking way just as he got a message from Claire saying that she had reached the diner and kept a table for two. Neil smiled to himself, a rush of excitement washing over him.

{Writer's Note: I wanted a separate chapter dedicated to Neil and Gabby. I loved their relationship on the show and wished that the writers would have shown us more. That is why I decided to explore it a little myself in this story. I treasure it with all my heart.}