twenty-three ~ after his parents wanted to meet me

~ braylee valarao ~

"Braylee," I heard someone call from behind me. "Wait up!"

I turned in the crowded halls, smiling as I saw Willa come up to me, her auburn hair tied in a braid as her small figure tried to find its way around the busy halls.

"Hey," I smiled at her as we headed out the double doors of the school.

Willa was one of the girls from my bigger group of friends that developed throughout our high school years. We were really close once, but I feel like that friendship definitely faded. We still talk, but it's not the same anymore.

"That calc exam was a killer, huh?" she asked me, an exhausted laugh slipping through her lips.

"Totally," I lied. I studied hard for it, and I'm pretty good at calc. None of it was too hard for me. Since Willa is even brighter than me, I was willing to take a guess that she was only saying it to start a conversation. "I'm just glad exams are over."

"Same here," she grinned. "Dang, the school year is half over. Just a few more months and we'll be at graduation."

A wave of panic washed over me, but I covered it with a smile. "Yep."

"So do you know which college you will be going to?" she asked me. "Wait, what's your major again?"

Oh God.

"I applied for a few, but nothing is for sure yet. I'm not even really sure which one I want to go to," I answered, referring to her first question. I wasn't going to tell her about the second question. "You?"

"Oh, uh, I got early acceptance in November," she said, looking away. She's never been the kind to enjoy bragging. She keeps most of her achievements to herself because she doesn't want to make anyone feel bad about being less. "To Cornell, actually."

"Really?" I smiled. "Wow, good job. That's where you've been wanting to go, right?"

"Yeah," she beamed at me. "Thanks, Braylee."

I tried to keep my smile, even as my worries about college flooded through my mind.

"So as a celebration, we all decided to go out," she said, pointing towards a group of our friends as we arrived out in the parking lot. They were all crowded in our usual spot, conversing amongst themselves. "You gonna come?"

I spotted Dahlia with them, who waved at me. I remember her inviting me somewhere with them, I just wasn't paying attention.

"I can't actually. I have plans with someone else."

"Oh, is there a guy?" Her eyes shone with curiosity, a grin sticking to her face. "Tell."

My mind went to Rhys' green eyes and the texts that said he is taking me out, and to wait for him at the school.

"Yes," I beamed.

"Boyfriend?"

"Not yet," I told her. "And you don't know him. He goes to another school."

They were calling our names, but Willa waved them off. "Is he cute?"

I chuckled. "Yeah, he is."

They called her again, and she sighed. "I need to go, but can we hang out sometime? I never see you anymore."

"I know." I thought about all the times we hung out last year. "How about we go shopping again for old times sake? Probably after Christmas."

She smiled. "That sounds great, actually." They called her again, and she started heading away. "I'll text you?"