Chapter Seven | heart monitor

C H A P T E R   S E V E N

heart monitor

Stiles sat at his desk in English class on Wednesday morning with rage and anxiety building up inside of him. He chewed angrily on the pen cap between his teeth, watching the door as he waited to see which of his best friends would walk through first.

He absently hoped that it wouldn't be Scott.

Stiles had made a promise to Amber. He had promised that he wouldn't let her get hurt again, but within twenty-four hours of him making that promise, the girl had literally thrown herself in front of a moving car to save his dad and- He had a hard time being angry at her for that.

Scott, however, Stiles found very easy to place the blame on.

Because it was Scott who should've been there to save his dad in the first place. It should've never been up to Amber — with her delicate wrists, and her soft edges, and her heart too big for her body. Scott practically had super powers, for crying out loud. It should've been him throwing himself into danger.

Stiles was furious that Scott hadn't protected their best friend when she'd needed him.

Unfortunately, a few minutes before the final bell, it was Scott who entered the classroom first. Stiles narrowed his eyes at his friend, averting his gaze as Scott made his way to the seat beside Amber's still painfully empty desk. Stiles ignored his friend the same way he had when Scott had attempted to talk to him at his locker earlier that morning.

He resolutely remained facing forward, flipping through the book on his desk with pursed lips as he ignored the boy to his right.

Scott dropped into his seat with a huff and leaned back into the aisle, "Still not talking to me?" Scott asked him weakly.

Stiles refused to acknowledge him and Scott sighed.

"Okay.. Can you at least tell me if Amber's okay?" Scott followed up when he received no response to his first question, "I didn't get a chance to talk to her last night before she left. I-I mean it's just a bruise, right? Some soft tissue damage?" Scott paused and Stiles clenched his jaw tight as he continued weakly, "It- It's nothin' that big?"

Stiles couldn't help but roll his eyes and shake his head slightly in frustration, keeping his eyes downcast, hyper-focussing on the restless tapping of his pen against the surface of his desk.

"Where is she? She's usually here before us." Scott questioned after a moment.

There was a hint of worry to his voice and Stiles thought, good. Scott deserved that. He deserved to feel that cold pit of concern filling his gut for the way he'd let their best friend down.

"You know I feel really bad about it, right? I mean, she's my best friend, too," Scott whispered, blowing out another heavy breath and tapping his hands anxiously on the top of his desk, "Okay.. What if I told you that I'm trying to figure this whole thing out and.. That I went to Derek for help?"