Chapter 23: When Cannons Roar Again

August 19.

Another war. Jane felt that this was probably just natural. After forty years without any major conflict, the Federation was now fighting two wars at the same moment against strong enemies.

This simply couldn't stand. As the Tambaran officially declared that they intended to subjugate Ilium, the Federation just needed to intervene to defend one of their allies and the main gateway to the Terminus Systems.

While the 29th Fleet had taken position at the mass relay of the Crescent Nebula, it was up to the SpecOps Command to cripple their advance, and commanding that division was none other than the war hero Admiral Shepard.

At the briefing aboard the Division's main ship, the Infinity-class cruiser Amerigo, Jane had mixed feelings in seeing her father wearing the uniform again. On one side, when she was a kid and couldn't participate in the Reaper War, she had always regret not being able to fight on his side, but now a part of her also felt like she was moving into his shadow.

Still, John had trusted her with an important assignment and she wasn't going to let anyone down. As she stepped down from the command bridge, leaving Wilhelm to direct tactical support, she reached the armory, geared up and mounted on the shuttle, where her children, Garrus and two marines, Kovalenko and Chandraptali 'Chandra' were waiting for the drop.

The planet beneath them, Romba Tes, at the edges of Tambaran space, was hosting a large depot used by the aliens to supply their offensive on Ilium, and John had appointed it as their first target. The SpecOps Division now hosted all the N7 and Spectres left in the Milky Way, all accompanied by some veteran reservists and even a battalion of the Imperial Guard.

The Normandy would be one of the spears that would open the confrontation. In fact, the second shuttle in her hangar was now embarking Master Chief and an N7 team who were going to target another site of the Tambaran logistical hub. Other stealth frigates were ready to launch the same kind of strike, using their tech to bypass the few but still powerful Tambaran cruisers patrolling the orbit above.

As soon as chaos would unleash on the surface, the Amerigo and one of her sister ships, the Vasco de Gama, would come out of the newly-established hyperspace routes, something the Tambaran were still ignorant of, and attack the flotilla guarding the planet, to avoid them sending reinforcements to the ground. The arsenal of the Infinity-class had been deemed sufficient to deal with the Tambaran force.

Trusting her father's instinct, Jane quickly explained to the team their objective: destroy a depot that had been built exploiting a vast network of caves and canyons on the surface of Romba Tes. However, orbital scanning had pointed out where the main source of energy was, and that source of energy was good old oil. Just by blowing up the main pumping implant before the aliens could close it, the explosion would propagate around the whole area, which meant the squad would have to evacuate very quickly.

She finished the explain just in time for the shuttle to hit ground and the strike team quickly deployed. After making sure that there was nobody around the LZ, Jane called the Normandy.

"Strike team to Normandy, drop completed, do we have green light?"