Chapter 14

It was a determined Harry Potter that strode up the dirt path back to the Burrow to find Hermione. It didn't take long for Sirius' story to register in his mind and he knew immediately who Hermione was to him. Just like he inspired Sirius to keep fighting, to keep living, Hermione had done the same for him. Just like he was Sirius', Hermione was his world.

The wizard calmly stepped through the doorway and scanned around for the woman he loved. Almost immediately, a bushy haired rocket barreled into his chest and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck, giving him no chance to escape. Not that he wanted to, of course.

"I was hoping that you hadn't left to look for me," he said, trying to add some levity to the situation.

"I wanted to, but Mrs. Weasley talked some sense into me," his love responded while her voice was muffled against his chest.

Harry savored the embrace for a minute longer before pulling back to cup Hermione's cheeks. Unable to help himself any longer, he leaned down to join their lips together once more. They had only done this twice, but the man was certain that it would feel like heaven each time they did it.

"How'd she convince you to stay?" Harry asked once they finally broke the kiss. He knew his Hermione was practically unstoppable when she set her mind to something.

Hermione smiled as their foreheads touched before saying, "she reminded me that if you truly belonged with me, you'd find your way back to me."

"She was right," Harry whispered before dropping a kiss into her bushy mane and tightly pulling her back into his chest.

Still refusing to break their embrace, the lovers never noticed a resigned Ron Weasley watching them from the stairs. The sound of him clearing his throat, however, broke their temporary paradise.

"Ron," Harry regarded cordially, never once letting go of Hermione who had now turned to face their best friend.

"I...I—I wanted to say I'm sorry for what I said," Ron timidly apologized while nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

"Okay," Harry replied slowly with caution. He was still very much pained at Ron's words but a part of him understood that the boy was hurt. Harry also knew that he was just as much at fault and made a mental note to give his own apology to his best mate.

"I just...I just couldn't understand why you guys waited so long," Ron started up once again, "but, like you said, you two can't help how you feel."

Harry and Hermione made to respond but Ron stopped them with a wave of his hand.

"I know you never wanted to hurt me, and I know Hermione's not the type of girl to lead a guy on," he drew in a shuddering breath, "but I WAS hurt. I mean how else am I supposed to feel when my girlfriend was in love with another man?"

Harry and Hermione kept silent as Ron bared his heart to them. They knew he had much more to say, but they already made their decision to forgive him for what he said to Harry yesterday.

"Look, I'm sorry. I didn't want you to die while fighting Voldemort. I know how much you sacrificed for us, and you deserve to be happy, mate. You do, and so do you, Hermione. I love you both, and I hope you can find it in yourselves to forgive me for what I said."

The couple were shocked at the level of maturity that their best friend displayed but still felt a bit hurt that he was pleading for forgiveness. If anything, they thought, they should also be asking for forgiveness.

"Only if you forgive us first," Hermione spoke up.

Finally, in what seemed like forever, Ron grinned at his best mates.

"I do, I already have."

Immediately, Harry and Hermione rushed up to Ron and enveloped him in a tight hug. It didn't seem possible yesterday but the trio were once again united. Harry prayed that this would always be the case.

Ron was the first to separate from the hug and regarded his best friends softly. The wound was still raw, but he knew that the only way Harry and Hermione would be happy was if they were together.

"Just, be happy."

At his command, he left the room to give the new couple some space.

Harry grinned at no one in particular before leaning down to whisper in Hermione's ear, "you know something, Miss Granger?"

Hermione smiled before reaching up to wrap her arm around Harry's neck, "what Mister Potter?"

"I have a gift for you," he whispered conspiratorially before bringing her hands up to cover her eyes, "keep them there," he commanded with a whisper.

Harry silently summoned his backpack before pulling out a small engraved black box. He glanced to see if Hermione was peeking and retrieved the pendant once he was sure she wasn't. It was a small diamond pendant joined with a silver cable chain that glittered no matter the lighting.

"No peeking," he whispered once more before chuckling at Hermione's indignant grumbling. He lifted up the hair at the back of her neck and wrapped the necklace around her, smiling at the soft gasp she let out from the feeling. Harry clasped the necklace before beginning to pepper kisses along the column of Hermione's neck and cheeks. He grinned against her skin when her arm came up to run through his hair as she shifted her head to join their lips together.

"Do you like it?" He breathlessly whispered against her lips when their heated kiss finally broke.

Hermione looked down at the glittering pendant that hung right near her heart and gave a watery smile to Harry when she turned to fully face him. She intertwined her arms around his neck and once again kissed him. This continued for several more seconds until she disengaged first. "I hope that answered your question," she said shyly.

Harry dumbly nodded with the goofiest of grins. "I reckon I should keep asking you questions if that's the answer I'll get," he joked.

Hermione swatted his arm and once more leaned into his embrace. For the first time in a while, she was well and truly happy.