CHAPTER 4

THIS CHAP IS GOING TO BE SHORT I MENTIONED IN THE OTHER CHAPTER BECAUSE I DIDN'T REALLY HAVE INSPIRATION FOR JAYLEN'S POV. SORRY.

                                                       (JAYLEN'S POV)

                  Chapter 4

“The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.” – Sven Goran Eriksson

  I had to go for a walk after dinner, so I left the table and left my two little siblings to small talk. Autumn is getting colder and the raspy winds weren’t making it very easy to walk with ease. I decide to walk backwards watching my step though. I bump into a few strangers and very strong words spread from their mouth to my reddening ears. I shrug and keep steady in my backward walk. I remember Mom completely. She was a woman who left a trace in you, whether you wanted it or not.  

Eager to escape the need of wanting something unattainable, I pull a cigar and light it. I take a brief inhale and exhale heavily.

My phone starts to buzz in my pants. It tickles a bit.  Dropping my cigarette to the floor after tucking  my lighter in, I smash the cigar with my foot.

  “Hello?” I pick up the phone.

“Good you answered. You are going to freak when you hear this but Reena’s here,” Jack’s voice sounds mumbled but I understand his words and do freak a little.

“What am I supposed to do man? I need my guy time. Deal with her yourself,” I say acting a bit selfish.

“Please bro. I need you. You’re the guy I look up to when it comes to girls. After all, you do get a lot of them.”

“Okay. I’m coming but only because you said I am good with chicks with I am.”

 I hang up.

  Jack had gotten that right. I do get a lot of girlfriends. It started in Grade 6 when I realize how many love notes girls were stuffing in my locker. It was my 5th year without Mom. I was needing something to fill up that void. So I begin to use the innocent girls.

  Each time I would break their hearts, I felt a little pleasure. That happiness slowly filled the void.

  There was this one girl, who I had reason to stay with. She made me smile. She would wake up in the morning before me; make hot breakfast and all the good stuff a guy could wish for. She was never clingy. I almost started to want her to be mine forever before I begin to recognize how stupid that idea was.

 I get up one morning and break up with her. I believe that I wasn’t selfish but saving both of us.

  In a few minutes, I am at my door.

 I see Reena, when I enter the house.  Her face is beautiful and she is stunning from the get-go. Her eyes are a hazel that catches your eyes when you look at her. Her lips are thin but a blasting shade of pink. The shape of her body is exquisite but not enough curve for me.

“Oh my gosh, you must be Jaylen. I’m Reena.”

“Nice to meet you,” Extending her hand, I shake it and eject my hand from hers a tad too fast and everyone notices it. The smile she throws at me is a crooked one but shows how little faith she shows towards her boyfriend when she sees someone who she thinks is hot. I didn’t want her.

 “Yah I bet,” Provocative, was the word was that describes how her voice was becoming toward me.

Maybe I was exaggerating but Reena was a definite lady that seems like she would need more than one man at a time. I wouldn’t tap for her a million bucks, she seems horny at the moment and her nose went up in a weird fashion as she continued to stare at me. Wasn’t her boyfriend on her side admiring her and introducing her?

“Umm…excuse for a minute,” I take Jack a few feet away to talk and leave Janae to talk away to Reena. His face shows an expression of puzzlement.

“Why you want to talk to me in private?” Jack says his tone low.

“Reena, she isn’t right for you. I have this feeling about her,” Jack shakes his head at me.

“The feeling huh?”

“Yah.”

“Why do you want to spoil every good thing because you’ve been with so many girls and haven’t found the right one doesn’t mean I want to be like you?”

He walks away from me gradually. Whispering something into Reena’s ear, he grabs her fingertips and walks out the door after he opens it for her and himself.

 The feeling is basically a tiny static I feel, whenever I touch someone that is trouble or bitter. I have a built in tactic that lets me detect future evil which is amazing on some levels. The only bad factor is trusting someone to an extremity and then realizing how strong their bad aura is.

 The static sting I get becomes more and more intense depending on how much trouble a single person can cause or might be up to.

Pissed off, I exit the house after a few minutes and light up another cigarette. Luckily Janae is home by herself and not with Dad.  Neglecting her and leaving her alone, I feel mad at myself. I’m even more upset at how I wasted my prior cigar. I’d got a good deal on my current pack and such prices were hard to come by. Smoking wasn’t helping me concentrate better, it wasn’t helping me forget. It was instead tensing me up more.

--

Walking ahead, I notice a girl, her smell was completely human. Beautiful and innocently human, I had to feel better somehow.  I was this mix breed atrocity human anyways so, why not be the monster I was.

“Hey,” I holler at her and spare her my white smile.

“Hays for horses.” She replies and I hate her already. This will make it easier to deceive her. I need a temporary figure to wash away all my insecurities in myself.

“Is that so?” I question.

“Most definitely. I’m Jessica by the way.”

I hate her voice. I hate her name and I hate how she stands. She won’t be able to stand tomorrow and I smirk at her.

“I’m Jaylen.” I say, trying to keep my sentences short.

She shifts the weight of her body to her right leg and I notice how un-curvy she is. An inconvenience for me at the most.

“Why are you smirking?” She inquires.

Holding back the need to puke at the thought of her saying my name, I grimace instead.

“No reason really.”

She tries to act cute by licking her lips and she fails at it. I laugh.

“Am I funny?”

“Na, just cute.” I lie with such a focused face, the lie is undetectable.

Why does this feel so wrong?

“My parents aren’t home for a couple of days and the house is free right now. You want to come over?” She asks with her head down and suddenly, her confidence (her only good attribute) is gone with no traces.

I was going to take charge but her implying we go over to her house makes it easier for me to devour her.

“Let’s go.” She states.

She walks and I follow.

--

In the morning, I dress and leave at around 4:00am. At least I have some confidence back in myself. Don’t even remember the girl’s name and that’s what makes me the most happiest.