6

In a way, it's nice to know there are Greek gods out there, because you have somebody to blame when things go wrong.

For instance, when you're walking away from a bus that's just been attacked by
monster hags and blown up by lightning, and it's raining on top of everything else, most people might think that's just really bad luck; when you're a half-blood, you understand that some divine force really is trying to mess up your day.

So there we were, Y/N and Grover and I, walking through the woods along the New Jersey riverbank, the glow of New York City making the night sky yellow behind us, and the smell of the Hudson reeking in our noses.

Grover was shivering and braying, his big goat eyes turned slit-pupiled and full of terror. "Three Kindly Ones. All three at once."

I was pretty much in shock myself. The explosion of bus windows still rang in my ears. But Y/N kept pulling us along, saying: "Come on! The farther away we get, the better."

"All our money was back there," I reminded her. "Our food and clothes. Everything."

"Well, maybe if you hadn't decided to jump into the fight—"

"What did you want me to do? Let you get killed?"

Y/N sighed.

Grover brayed mournfully. "Tin cans... a perfectly good bag of tin cans."

We sloshed across mushy ground, through nasty twisted trees that smelled like sour laundry.

After a few minutes, Y/N fell into line next to me.

"I don't know what else I expected from you, honestly. I'm sorry. I shouldn't be mad at you. I'm just- not quite sure where to go from here. Thank you, for saving us. It was pretty brave of you."

"We're a team, right?"

She was silent for a few more steps. "It's just that if you died... aside from the fact that it would really suck, it would mean the quest was over.- well, until I marched down into Tartarus and dragged your ass back out myself-This may be my only chance to see the real world."

The thunderstorm had finally let up. The city glow faded behind us, leaving us in almost total darkness. I couldn't see anything of
Y/N except a glint of her H/C hair.

"You haven't left Camp Half-Blood since you were seven?" I asked her.

"No... only short field trips. Obviously, It didn't work out for me living at home after mom died. I mean, Camp Half-Blood is my home." She was rushing her words out now, as if she were afraid somebody might try to stop her. "At camp you train and train.  And that's all cool and everything, but the real world is where the monsters are. That's where you learn whether you're any good or not. Where you get a chance to finally prove yourself. To show everyone what you're made of."

If I didn't know better, I could've sworn I heard doubt in her voice.

"You're pretty good with that sword," I said.

"You think so?"

"Anybody who can tackle a Fury is okay by me."

I couldn't really see, but I thought she might've smiled.

"I saw you training on my first day. And you wanna know what I thought?"

She looked at me.

"'Jeez, she's scarily good with that sword'."

She definitely smiled that time.

"You know," she said, "maybe I should tell you... Something funny back on the bus..."