Chapter 12 ~ Ride

---River's POV---

A shopping cart bumped roughly into my already-bruised side. I looked at the culprit and immediately wore a glare when I recognized her.

I interrupted her apology. "Why are you following me?"

"Why would I be following you?" she said, also frowning. Her t-shirt had a big teddy bear on it. "I'm grocery shopping for us."

"There is no 'us.' Shop for yourself, and don't take my food."

"Then don't take mine!" she said in a huff. Holland moved the shopping cart around me and left.

I pulled the hood of my hoodie up to cover my face. Surely, she wasn't following me, right? I had a strange feeling that I was being watched. As though every place, every movement of mine was compromised now that I lived with someone. She could find out every secret, hold this against me, do anything she wanted to me... and I couldn't leave.

Although... maybe I should stop being paranoid. Holland wasn't her.

I massaged my sore shoulder as I continued to shop. I couldn't get much, because I had a limited budget, so I was only picking up some very cheap ramen and soup cans. My athletic sandals flapped as I walked.

Maybe someday things would be less tense between me and Holland. I realized with a pang that it was completely my fault that we were so bitter toward each other. I was assuming the worst in her. Perhaps I should trust that Holland was a normal girl. Perhaps she had no ulterior motive.

I paid and left the grocery store. As I was stepping outside, I saw Holland across the way. Someone was following her. I squinted. He was an older man, clearly drunk, tipping slightly as he stumbled towards her.

I didn't think. I let my feet carry me.

I watched as the man said something and moved closer to Holland.

Holland didn't respond to him and instead slammed her trunk shut after putting in the groceries. She tried to get to the driver's seat, but the older man rushed to put his hand on the door.

"How about we go somewhere-"

I reached them just in time; I grabbed his collar and tossed him aside with such force that he fell onto the ground.

I stood between Holland and the drunkard.

"Leave."

He sputtered and stood up, stumbling again as he tried to place his feet on the ground. "You-!"

"Last time I ask nicely."

He glanced from me to Holland, then seemed to make up his mind, because he shook his head and cursed under his breath as he wobbled away.

I turned to Holland. She was shaking slightly.

"Thanks," she said.

I looked at her. Holland's round glasses were so cute. And so was her teddy bear shirt, which was two sizes too big for her. She sure looked innocent from the crimes I'd been placing on her.

I nodded and walked off. I made sure she got in her car before I returned to the grocery store entrance.

She would've tried something before this, wouldn't she? If she had any harmful intentions? I should try to be nicer.

I sat on a bench outside the store, where I had left my two grocery bags. Thankfully, they were still there.

I took out my phone and texted Benji. Are you here?

He sent back a short message. Sorry, can't make it

I let out a sharp exhale and texted, Why not?

No response.

I sent another. You said you'd take me back to my place

Still no response. I wanted to throw my phone. But then, I heard a soft voice.

"Do you need a ride back?"

I glanced up, pushing my hood back. There was Holland, her window down, calling out to me.

"I have a ride back," I said.

"Sure looks like it."

I tilted my head and debated. Not every girl was going to have bad motives, right? I desperately wanted to believe Holland was not like her. To figure that out, I shouldn't act so rudely.

I got into the car without another word.