28 Awkward Moments

"Seth"

My brows furrow and by pulse drops. This is not Seth. The Seth I remember was slim and going through a tight-black-jeans-piercings-and-headphones-phase not this filled out...adult.

His eyes are grey like Paul's but everything else belongs to Ellen. The light hair, the seemingly warm face.

His hair was jet black before from bad dye and now it's chestnut brown and reaches his jaw.

"Don't look too surprised" he smiles crossing his arms across his chest.

I open my mouth to speak but I have nothing to say.

He tilts his head strolling up and down me.

"I've gotta' say, you don't look half bad" And the southern twain comes through.

I pull down my dress since it has bunched up a tad and a small but sly smile finds it's way on his face.

"Why are you here?"

"Ouch, Is that any way to greet me?" He acts pained.

"You were not suposed to be here today" I'm a little more fiery than expected.

"Listen, I'm only here because my 'pops wants me to rekindle some kind of relationship with her"

Ellen.

Speak of the, nevermind.

"Well I see that you two've already greeted each other, it'll be so nice for Eve to have her brother around"

"Stepbrother" we argue in unison.

"Yes well anyway Eve your Father's in his study and sweetie are you all unpacked?"

"Yeah, All done" How long has he been here?

"Okay well if you need anything I'm just a call away" she wisps grabbing her bag.

"Where are you going?" I ask with a little plead on my voice. I don't want to be left alone with...Seth.

I hope this visit will be over soon.

"Just to finish up at the Cortes', just wall work in the kitchen"

My heartbeat picks up.

"Oh can I come?" I ask airily as if I don't have two alterior motives.

She stops for a second and looks at me intently,

"Of course you can hon', Seth you'll be alright on your own won't you?" She asks.

"I managed when you left right?" He shrugs as if nothing. That one hurt. You can see it in her face that it hurt.

She shakes her head as if shaking off the sting and gets her keys.

"Okay Eve let's go"

"Okay, can you give me a second?" I sidle past Seth and rush upstairs.

Before leaving I look back to him and he waves me off good-bye sarcastically.

I wish I could wave him goodbye.

Once in her 4x4 I snuggle into the slowly-warming seats.

"Listen, Eve I know I haven't really asked you yet but..are you okay with Seth staying here?" I mean you both barely know each other and Seth can be..." She withers off.

"Ellen, I'm fine with it...I'm sorry for what he said I'm sure he didn't mean it" I surprise myself.

She readjusts her hands on the wheel and I try and figure out whether this is awkward or not.