Thirty-nine (R)

Ariana Grande ft

Ariana Grande ft. Ty Dolla $ign - safety net.

~

"BUT YOU DON'T LIKE BROWN chocolate, Ina." My eleven year old cousin, Majid, speaks up, eying the heart-box of chocolates which were anonymously delivered to me this morning.

Boy, don't I know it? I detest brown chocolate.

When Joan came into the kitchen to inform me of a package waiting for me at the door, I did not expect it to be chocolates. Who the fuck thought it was okay to anonymously gift me chocolates?

I exhale. "Any card attached to it?"

The delivery guy shakes his head negatively. "Nope. It was ordered and sent to this address."

"Maybe it's not for me."

He rolls his eyes and I suddenly understand why it irks Mr. Ash so much. I feel like smacking his forehead.

"Ma'am, we've been through this. You're Alaina, aren't you?" He groans frustratedly.

Who could have possibly done this? I mean the only man who continuously gifted me chocolates - upon I specifically told him I didn't like them - was date seven. And he got married sometime late last year.

"I don't like brown chocolate. You can have it." I mumble conclusively and move to shut the door.

"It's not really in my job description to eat deliveries..."

"Well, today's an exception. Goodbye." I interrupt him and slam the door shut.

For the love of God. I take my palm to my forehead, rubbing it slowly. If date seven has somehow decided to leave his lovely wife and taunt me with dark chocolates, he has another thing coming at him. Like a restraining order.

"Alaina, you should have just given it to me." Majid grumbles.

Majid is Aunt Lora's first child.

My mum dropped him off on her way to work to keep me from running crazy - as she put it - especially during these perilous investigation times - as she also put it. Turns out Majid wasn't feeling too well and Aunt Lora wanted mum to babysit, but today is one of those rare days that mum decided to go to work. She owns a small hair shop near her house.

She didn't ask for Mr. Ash's permission because of what I told her yesterday - she said he isn't my boss anymore, so she didn't need it - and I totally understand her reasoning. But this is still Mr. Ash's mother's house and I honestly don't want any trouble.