Chapter Eleven

In the two years Eirwen had been gone, Heldie hadn't seen Ryker smile this much. There had been the odd flash of a smile on holidays just before his frown grew twice its size. Now, she watched him practically skipping as he led his horse to the stables.

"What do you think, Ansel? What could be giving our dear huntsman so much joy?" Heldie whispered to the raven perched on her shoulder. She could hear its odd croaking laugh in her ear. "I think you're right."

Three days till the wretch's birthday and still no sign of her. It almost made her sad to think about missing another birthday, to think of all the wasted birthdays. Eirwen had always been so willing to try the pastries Heldie offered her. Year after year, Heldie had squandered the chance to end the threat that lived in her walls. What she wouldn't give for one more chance.

This time, she would finish the job she started.

Ever since her time in the town Heldie had sent Ryker out in more frequent and more controlled searches. They'd spent months mapping out the forest surrounding the castle. Every spot that gave Heldie a dark space in her scrying became a priority. At first, Heldie had considered going herself, but one trip in which the forest had seemed to sap her strength convinced her there was more at work in keeping her out than she'd first thought.

But here was Ryker, smiling. A matching smile began to spread across her own face as she realized the possibility. Either he was reminiscing about fond memories with the child, or he had finally found her.

Her heels made a rhythmic pattern that was almost hypnotic as she walked down the halls. In the first months she had always hoped to turn a corner and see Eirwen tucked in a corner as if she'd just been keeping her distance. Her laugh had haunted Heldie's every step.

The side door opened into the courtyard and she met Ryker halfway across. His smile fell away when he saw her slow even steps. "You seem cheerful. Good news?"

Ryker's eyes stayed steady on her but he held his breath. "Just a lovely day," he answered.

"You would lie to me, your queen?" she snapped. Around them, the stones of the courtyard shook. The wall of the well caved and its parts fell into the murky waters below. It had become worse over the years, lacking the care Eirwen had put into maintaining it every day. Heldie had stopped drawing water from it ages ago and preferred to use magic to fulfill her needs. Her magic grew stronger every day, feeling more and more like a second identity living inside her.

Heldie stepped towards her huntsman, the magic coiling in her chest like a snake about to strike. "Tell me where she is."

"I won't," Ryker said defiantly.

"At least you've given up hiding the truth," she scoffed. "But hiding her away is even more idiotic. You know what she is capable of but you choose to keep her safe." The ground at her feet shook with her anger.

"You don't understand, Heldie," Ryker reached for her and felt himself blown backwards. Blood dripped from his forehead where he lay in a heap on the floor. Though his eyes were closed his chest rose and fell in an easy rhythm. He was alive for now. The rest would give him time to reflect on his actions.

"It's Queen Grimhelde, remember that," she whispered to his unconscious form. In a few moments she had returned to her spell tower where she could pace angrily.

There were ways to pull the information from Ryker's head. Painful and intrusive methods but necessary if he continued to keep up this difficult attitude. It didn't matter if he forgave her for it, there were more important things that hung in the balance.

Another idea occurred to her then as she gazed into the depths of the mirror. It reflected the deep furrows between her eyes and the way her scowl pulled down the rest of her face. As if sensing her intent, the mirror shimmered. It was trying to pull its magic to a place deep within itself.

Grimhelde reached out to the glass surface and felt it push her back. The bright golden light burned her hand as it flung her back. Her own magic seemed to redouble within her and when she reached out again, her fingers sank into the surface of the mirror.

It was like shoving her hand into a frozen lake. The warmth of her hand faded until she was so cold it felt as if her bones would snap. Grimhelde persisted and pushed her arm in up to the elbow. The cold became a burning that brought her to the edge of a whimper. She pushed through it until the first sparks of magic shot up her hand.

The mirror had a magic core, as most magical items did. Over the many years it had always willingly reached out to her to guide her own magic. It had nurtured her until her magic grew to what it could have been if she hadn't left home. Yet, it had failed her in the simple act of locating one girl.

The glass surface rippled against her shoulder and suddenly she was flung back. She hit the far wall with her hand clutched to her chest. A determined smile took over her face when she saw the dark purple crystal in her hand. It was far too late for the mirror to decide whether it wanted to help her or not. Its very heart rested in her hands now.

It had gone quiet, empty of its magic. The empty vessel now pulled at her magic and she fed it slowly until it glowed again. Grimhelde touched it back to the glass surface and let it fall into the void beyond.

This time when she called for the mirror it warmed to her presence immediately. "Show me now, where is she? The huntsman has seen her. Take what you need from him," Grimhelde said as she leaned into the mirror. A scream echoed outside and the images in the mirror began to swirl at a dizzying pace.

"There you are."