chapter sixteen

"Mom, Dad, can my friend come over today?" Y/n asks with her phone in hand. It's now the weekend and Y/n wants to practice some scenes with Todoroki. She's taking this whole play thing pretty seriously.

"Is this that one friend you were hanging out on the couch with?" Her dad asks.

"What?"

"You know, the boy with the red and white hair?" He asks.

"Oh yeah, it's him."

"Hmm, he's been over quite often." Ira says.

"Yeah, we've had a lot of stuff to work on."

"There's nothing you want to tell us?" She questions.

"No...?"

"No? No romance or anything?" Xylan questions.

"Oh my God. You think we're dating? I'm just inviting him over to practice our play."

"Play?" Her mom asks.

"You know, the play you bought me vocal lessons for?"

"Oh yeah, you got the part! Sorry, I've been spacey." Her mom laughs.

"Yeah... okay. Well is it a yes or no?"

"Yes or no?" Her dad questions.

"Are you zoned too out or something? Can I invite my friend Todoroki over to practice our play?" She makes sure to speak slowly so they understand.

"Ohhh. Sure." Her parents smile.

"Thank you!" She grins. "Make sure to take all your vitamins and supplements, you guys are scaring me." She walks away while texting Todoroki to come over and practice.

"That scared me." Xylan sighs.

"What?" Ira asks.

"I thought she had a boyfriend. Gosh, I don't think I'm prepared for that day to come yet." He shakes his head.

"Oh grow up. She's a teenager now that day's gonna come pretty soon. She puts her hand on his shoulder. "In fact, this play has a kiss in it."

"But she's not doing any kissing right?"

"Sorry to break it to you, my love." She smiles.

"Oh, I think I need to sit down."

"Don't be a baby, come with me to the garage."

ding dong

"I'll get it!" Y/n rushes down the stairs.

"C'mon, I'm gonna work on some pots I want your company." Ira drags Xylan away as Y/n goes to answer the door.

"Hi, Todoroki!" Y/n welcomes.

"Hello." He gives her a small smile and she returns the gesture.

"Would you like anything to drink?" She sits down on the couch.

"No thank you."

"Okay, do you want to practice scene six, we can just skip to the part where Dmitry and Anya are alone." She suggests.

"Sure." He answers and they both stand up and Y/n grabs a pen to use as a prop.

"Next time I won't go so easy!" She chases imaginary people off with the pen.

"Where did you learn that? You're good." Todoroki compliments.

"You want to see what else I can do?" She rushes and Todoroki picks her up to stop her. In that moment she felt butterflies fill her stomach.

"I believe you, Anya." He puts her down.

"I didn't walk... I didn't walk..." She starts. "I forgot my lines." She sighs.

"I didn't walk halfway through Russia." He reminds her.

"Right, thank you. I didn't walk halfway through Russia without learning to defend myself." She hands the pen to Todoroki and takes a seat on the couch. "You've had it easy."

"Not so easy." He sits down with her. "My father was an anarchist." He pauses. "He died in a labor camp for his convictions. My mother was already gone. I don't really remember her." For some reason, the last two sentences felt so real.

"Who raised you then? " She asks while looking into his eyes.

"No one. I raised myself." He answered. "I can't sing the song, I haven't memorized it."

"Okay, let's just do that part again. Hopefully, I don't mess it up." Y/n says and Todoroki listens. They redo the scene and Y/n remembers all her lines. Y/n tells Shoto that he should work on memorizing 'My Petersburg' while she works on memorizing the rest of her lines. They continued to practice their dialogue and after about an hour they knew the whole scene perfectly.

"Yay! We're all done." She falls onto the couch.

"Good job," Todoroki says.

"Thank you! You did well too, Todoroki." She reciprocates the compliment.

"...Shoto." He tells her.

"You want me to call you by your first name?" She checks.

"Yes." He feels his heartbeat speed up and makes eye contact with the girl.

"Okay, Shoto." She smiles. Hearing his name come from her mouth made his heart swell and his stomach swirl. It made him nervous but in a good way, he looked away and felt his cheeks heat up. He was hoping the h/c haired girl wouldn't notice.

"You know, I don't remember if I've told you this but I like your eyes. They're pretty." Y/n says.

"Oh...um, thank you." He blushed and Y/n noticed but she didn't say anything about it.

"You're welcome," Y/n answered.

...

The two talked for a little longer before Todoroki left to go home. Y/n sat down in bed thinking.

'Everybody blushes when you compliment them right?'

She was in denial.

'Yeah no way Todoroki of all people likes me. He's pretty closed off as is.'

She felt her heart beat and her hands tingle just thinking about it. It wouldn't be bad if he likes her but she just didn't know if she was ready for all that yet.

'I'm probably just overthinking.'

word count: 829