Ch 2: The Family Feast - A Curious Breakfast Assembly

Chapter Summary:

After the events of the previous day, Rhodey has an unconventional breakfast with Tony and his guests. Rhodey keeps getting confused.

Author's Note:
I am curious, who did the math? How much time would Rhodey have actually slept?Additionally, if anyone is interested in making a cover or being a beta-reader, I am open for anyone.The Wattpad version of this book has pictures, I would add them on and AO3, but I dont know how.

Chapter 2: The Family Feast - A Curious Breakfast Assembly

James Rhodes woke up early the next morning, still feeling puzzled about the events he had witnessed last night. He couldn't help but feel restless, and his mind was still trying to piece together the puzzle of Tony and the teenage boy. It took him a minute to find out what had woken him up. After the night Rhodey had, waking up to loud clatter and clinging around five in the morning was not what he would have hoped for. Adrenalin cursed through his body, sending him out of the bed in a frenzy, trying to understand what was going on. As an Avenger and a military man Rhodey was used to early mornings and running out of bed for emergencies, ready to jump in fast and with a perfect plan and act fast enough that it might look from the outside as if no thought occurred. He never enjoyed it much, though. It was tiring and took away from a restful sleep or clear daily structure that Rhodey preferred in life.

But Rhodey knew it was worth it to save all those people that would be harmed otherwise. He knew how it does not have to be death that could ruin a life, his own parents were always struggling financially and taking care of three children cannot have been easy, especially considering two of them graduated from esteemed universities when Rhodey’s younger brother died: The death of Samuel had been hard enough, but Rebecca and he had to struggle through finding jobs to even pay for Sammy’s funeral. Rhodey could only thank Tony, his help and job offer at SI having saved Beck from having to drop out of her master. Rhodey knew he would not have taken Tonys help yet had it not been for his sister, he had been to proud to accept help from his younger friend. A big fault of his, Rhodey knew. And he had worked on it. Nowadays, he would not say no to help. Not if he offers his own in return. That was what made a friendship worth having: being there for each other, giving as good as one gets, love and care. Not expecting or taking, not letting someone take. But giving and receiving without expecting anything in return.

Rhodeys mind was racing with possibilities. What could possibly be going on that would explain this noise so early in the morning? As far as Rhodey knew, Tony did not need to go anywhere, so he should not be up before eight at the earliest. He usually slept until eight thirty or nine before going to work on SI. Rhodey quickly got himself battle ready, able to put his suit on momentarily, hidden weapon in his pyjamas, quick to attack, ten battle plans at the ready depending on the situation, and the fastest route to a car in case of flight or another emergency. Phone ready to call into the Med-Bay if someone gets hurt, ignoring the notification of Pepper sending Rhodey a smiley as answer to yesterdays photo. Rhodey would not allow himself to let any harm done to Tony or his son…

Tonys son! He should still be at Avengers Compound, probably asleep… Would he be in danger? Rhodey already felt an unbelievable protectiveness towards the boy that made Tony smile like that, to make Tony look so peaceful.

“FRIDAY, where are Tony and his guest? Are they safe?”, Rhodey whisper-yelled, urgency in his voice he hoped FRIDAY would spot. What had happened?

“Yes, Colonel. Tony and Peter are currently in the kitchen preparing food. Today is a school day and Peters school is in Queens.”, FRIDAY answered calmly, setting Rhodeys blood pressure to a sudden crash. No danger. Just cooking. Of course. It is Wednesday, the child would have to go to school. “Tonys other guest is still asleep.”