Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake

Ingredients

          Cake

- 15.25 ounce box spice cake mix

- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)

- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

- 2 large eggs

- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used chocolate morsels)

          Frosting

- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened (2) 8-ounce blocks

- ½ cup salted butter, softened to room temperature

- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

- 2 cups powdered sugar

Directions

- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

- Spray a 9×9-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and lay a piece of parchment paper in the pan so you can remove the cake easily once it's baked.

- Mix the spice cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs and cinnamon together. (Do not follow the ingredients recommended on the cake mix box, just what's listed here) Mix until just combined, make sure to scrape down the edges and bottom of the bowl with a spatula, dry ingredients will hide in pockets of the batter.

- Fold in the chocolate chips.

- The batter will be very thick so use a spatula to scrape it out of the bowl into the prepared pan.

- Smooth out the top of the cake batter evenly then bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

          Frosting

- While the cake is baking, make the cream cheese frosting by creaming together the butter and cream cheese.

- Then add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar (gradually) and mix until smooth.

- Once the cake is done baking, remove from the pan and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

- Use an offset spatula to frost the cake. Sprinkle with cinnamon and extra chocolate chips to decorate if desired.

Notes

- We made it as a loaf to turn it into a lego cake for a birthday. Baked for 35 min at 350 and then 10 minutes at 275 to help make sure the inside was cooked through properly. Probably could have done it at 300 for 40 min, but this worked