Chapter Four

Eliana POV

Sleeping was like trying to stop the tide go out; it kept fighting me and wouldn't let me rest. I tossed and turned in the crappy motel bed, eventually throwing the window open and breathing in the crisp early morning air before curling back up to try and get at least a few hours in.

I must've fallen asleep at some point because the next thing I knew I awoke drenched in sweat, panting, with tears streaming down my face. It was another bad night. Every few weeks, the memories hit me like a truck and my sleep was tormented for days. Usually, the noise in my head only quietens when I am physically too exhausted to sustain anymore nightmares. Tonight was going to be the first of many bad nights.

Taking a quick warm shower helped to relax my cramping muscles and washed away the panicked sweat. I placed a dry towel down over my sweaty sheets and changed my pyjamas before trying again, if I couldn't sleep, I could at least rest my body.

The second I shut my eyes, I saw the vile sneer of the greasy trucker from earlier and that was all it took for me to be thrust back.

Six Years Ago

It was a warm day in May and the pink blossoms in the meadows dotted around our house were bathed in golden sunlight. I had finished school and my football practice and was enjoying the walk home through the small town I lived in, taking in the singing birds and unexpected bright sunshine. Spring was starting to teeter into Summer and the flowers and greenery were in full bloom, decorating my journey home. As I reached our house, I took out my earphones and unlocked the front door, pushing it open and shouting hello. My youngest brother, Charlie, stuck his head around the corner of our large kitchen into the entryway and smiled broadly.

"Henry is round again." He said knowingly.

"No surprise there." I muttered, rolling my eyes before glancing to dad's study where I could hear the muffled voices. He had been visiting much more frequently these past couple of months and, although he was a family friend, he was quite a cold man who I had no interest in seeing.

Charlie laughed, knowing how I felt about him before beckoning me over with his hand and smirking. I smiled and as I came round the corner and saw my other two brothers diving into the outdoor pool and laughing. It was then I noticed Charlie in his swimming trunks and I laughed excitedly. Swimming was one of my favourite activities, but it was rare that all three of my brothers humoured me together; the hot weather must have persuaded them.

I playfully punched my brother's arm before dumping my school bag by the kitchen island and running upstairs to change into my swimming stuff and grab my towel. Skipping down the stairs, I came to the bottom just as dad and Henry were leaving the study. I smiled in their direction, but they were still too engrossed in their conversation to notice me.

"Adrian you must, you have no choice. They will be here tonight." Henry was urging adamantly.

"Protect yourself and your family Henry, I will worry about my own." My father replied with unusual curtness.

My heart beat faster at their words and my face folded in worry.

"Dad? What's wrong?" I asked shakily.

Both men turned sharply to me before my dad ushered Henry out of the door with a few mumbled words I couldn't catch. I caught Henry's eyes just before the door shut. He gave me a sad, remorseful smile.

I turned back to my dad, opening my mouth about to get him to explain what I had heard but he cut me off.

"Ellie. Get your brothers inside and pack a bag with your essentials. Get them to do the same. I'm going to pick your mother up." Dad ordered, his harsh tone making me wince and anxiety curl in my stomach.