Eleven: Home

CHAPTER WARNINGS: Mentions of Violence

Being back in the Spring Court manor house almost felt unreal

Being back in the Spring Court manor house almost felt unreal. You caught yourself pinching your own arm on more than one occasion to make sure you weren't dreaming. But it was real, just as Lucien had told you. It was all real.

Alis had enveloped you into a tight hug the second you had ascended the marble steps leading into the house. "Oh, my dear," she said with a soft smile. "We have missed you so much."

"I missed you too," you replied, and it was true.

She explained quickly that Feyre had taken your old room when she had arrived. Not that you minded, you hadn't been here after all. Alis led you to the next room along the hall, the one directly opposite Lucien's room. It was scarcely different to the last, besides the fact that the walls were a delicate sky-blue as opposed to the light turquoise light green of your old room. Your dresses had already been arranged in the wardrobe, and you were thankful that Alis helped you bathe and dress into something more fitting, although you didn't admit to her that you folded the clothes Lucien had leant you and kept them hidden at the bottom of the wardrobe.

You sat at the vanity as she brushed and braided your hair, letting the body of it fall around your shoulders, with only two dainty plaits wrapped around each side of your head, pulling your hair away from your pointed ears. You had no doubt that she had noticed your changes - had noticed the glow that now sat around you like a blanket, your pointed ears and sharpened features that you had grown accustomed to seeing in the mirror - but she didn't mention it. Perhaps she had already known. Maybe Tamlin or Lucien had told her. They had, after all, told Feyre about her.

"I could hardly believe it when my mask came off," she continued, and you blinked up at her in the mirror. She had been speaking, and you had not really been listening. You had been too focused on memorising every inch of her face and of the room in the reflection of the mirror, so light and airy, compared to those prison-like chambers you were subjected to Under the Mountain. She looked different with her mask gone, her face young-looking despite knowing her old age, and bore an odd sense of motherly features. She was pretty. "I was with my two boys when it happened. Oh, how I cried."

"Your boys," you said, and she glanced up, catching your eye in the mirror. "Are they here?" She nodded. "Can I meet them?"

She smiled softly. "Eventually, but let's get you used to being back first. They'll still be there waiting when you're ready."

You nodded, lips thinning in slight disappointment. Then a thought occurred to you. "Now that Feyre is here, I'll need a new maid, right?"

Alis cocked her head. "Am I not good enough for you?"

You chuckled, shaking your head. "No, it's not that," you laughed. "But Feyre will be lady of the Spring Court now. So surely your first priority will be her now, not me."

She pursed her lips. "I suppose," she considered. "I'm sure we can find one of the other girls to take over my duties with you."

You smiled and nodded in agreement. You were sure Alis would find a suitable replacement, although even going back to having someone to tend to your needs was a harsh and peculiar juxtaposition after so many years with only yourself to care for.