The First Time I Saw You (Teddy Lupin)

Me ... actually posting when I said I would ... it must be a miracle

For some reason, this was a lot easier to write than the last few one shots have been. Let's just hope it's any good ~ 

____________________

Early morning lectures had to be, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst thing for a university student. I was certain they were scheduled purely to catch us out, to see who had been able to force themselves out of bed first thing so they could catch the bus onto campus. Not that the buses were the most reliable thing either.

"Why on earth do you look so grumpy?" Jocelyn who was far too chipper first thing in the morning nudged me with her shoulder.

"It's too early," I said plainly, because what other answer could there be?

"It's 9.30." Jocelyn shook her head incredulously, still not understanding my distaste for morning lectures. It was already our second year and I still hadn't warmed up to them.

Rather than contesting her words and getting into our usual squabble about my love of sleeping in and Jocelyn's love of waking early to 'give the day the best start', I gestured to our approaching stop. We stood quickly, making our way through the bus and sharing a look of mutual annoyance at the giggling first years who were still excited at their newfound freedom, and thanked the bus driver on our way out. Stepping out into the centre of the campus, we walked a short distance to the campus map.

"I'll tell you what, one thing I absolutely don't understand is why they decided to change the buildings," Jocelyn grumbled under her breath.

She searched the map with a pointed finger, trying to locate where our lecture was supposed to occur at 10 o'clock. Silently, I agreed with her but knew to keep out of her way whilst she was searching. Instead, I cheered her on from the sidelines, hoping that she found it soon so we had enough time to stop by the campus coffee shop so I could get my much-needed caffeine fix. When Jocelyn jabbed her finger triumphantly against the map, I knew she'd found it. Peering over her shoulder, I took a quick reference of the location of the building and tried not to make a face; of course, it would be on the outskirts of the campus.

"Come on," I said determinedly, taking Jocelyn by the arm and lugging her into step beside me. "If we're going to make it to the lecture and get a coffee beforehand, we need to move quickly."

This time Jocelyn was the one who knew to do nothing other than match her footsteps to mine. Even if she did laugh lightly as she remarked, "I swear coffee is the only thing that'll get you moving so quickly before lunch."

I didn't rise to her bait. Instead, I led her through the crowd towards the coffee shop which would likely be packed at this time in the morning. But by some minor miracle, and clearly, some higher being was smiling down at us, because the coffee shop was occupied by only a handful of students and there was no waiting queue. After ordering my usual coffee, I waited patiently but glanced at my watch; there was plenty of time left.

Accepting my coffee with a thankful smile, I watched as Jocelyn accepted hers and then we at last started to make our way to the lecture hall. As we walked further from the centre of the campus, the fewer students walked around us and the less certain I was about our location. Taking a sip of my coffee, I surveyed the unfamiliar buildings with a curious furrow in my eyebrows. Our campus was clearly larger than I'd first thought.

"There!" Jocelyn called out, pointing to the left. It looked like an older building, not at all similar to the newer more modern ones at the centre of the campus. But even from a distance, I could see other students from our course walking into it.