Chapter 5

Over the next few days, Grace's father called to inform her that she wouldn't be visiting for this reason or that. Her mood soured and she grew impatient about everything. The only thing that kept her emotions in tack was her new job. 

She wasn't forced to get a job. As far as her parents were concerned, she needed to focus on her education. Cheer Squad was a gift, not a right. A gift that could easily be snatched away if she needed whipped into shape. 

But she wanted one. With the growing pains of not knowing what was going on, and school becoming overwhelming, she needed something to take her mind off of all the stress. She thought that a little boy fit that description very well. 

She had first heard about the babysitting job through Hannah. Who was still as mopey as ever, considering the break up. That didn't stop her from gossiping about a family in the rich part of town that was offering a nice fee to a babysit an eleven year old boy. 

Grace jumped at the opportunity.

Clayten was an overeager boy, that was for sure. His parents were kind and courteous, and offered an overly sumptuous amount of cash for watching him. Which, Grace couldn't piece together. Why such an amount for one child, for around four hours a day?

She settled herself onto the couch, tucking her feet underneath her and watching as Clayten vroomed around the living room with his flying Hot Wheels car. "All right, you two, we are heading out," his mother, Becky said, as she pulled a pair of tennis shoes on her feet. 

The woman was dressed in tight black yoga pants and black under-armor that clung to her curves. Her thick blond hair was pulled into a high ponytail and on her arm was her husband. He was dressed in basically the same outfit. Black clothing and tennis shoes. His black hair was combed perfectly, curling at the base of his neck. 

Clayten dropped his car and rushed to his parents, wrapping his arms around his mother, who received him openly. He murmured something to her that Grace couldn't decipher. "Thank you again, Grace." Corizon, Clayten's father, said. "We really appreciate you watching him so late."

"It's nothing, Mr. West. Really." Grace smiled. She really liked this family. Although, most of her peers at the school disliked this part of town for their uptight ways and snobby manners, Grace was finding that most of the rumors were stereotypical. At least, when it came to this family. They were as kind as could be. 

"I'd like to talk to you about something," he said, catching Grace off guard. His tone was rather tense, and it had her wondering if she had done something wrong. Becky looked up from Clayten, watching her husband with questioning eyes. 

"There is... Well, the matter of Clayten's brother."

"Honey," Becky warned, but was silenced by his hand, telling her to stop. She slumped, her lips pouting.

"I don't want him near Clayten. I know you don't know the story, nor would I wish to burden you with our family drama." He chuckled, lightening the mood tenfold. "Anyways, if he were to come around here -not saying he would- but he might. He has this obsession to see his brother. The neighbors always have the backdoor open. You can slip in there. Clayten knows them and would be able to make the situation a little less dramatic." Corizon looked at Grace, trying to determine if he had sparked her curiosity enough to raise a flag. 

She remained calm and collected. "I understand, sir. No worries here, go have fun." 

"Highly unlikely dear," Becky chuckled, "a business tennis match isn't close to being fun. More like work when it should be play." 

"We can always play when we get home," Corizon commented, sending a wink in Grace's direction as they exited the house. 

"Can we play?" Shouted Clayten as he once again brought his abandoned toy from the ground to the air. 

For the next two hours, Grace played with the tiny automobiles through the entire house. Gaining a raging rug burn on her knees, and a new-found appreciation for a clean house. Clayten's imagination raged from giant dinosaurs trying to eat the cars to blooming romances between a classy pink Volkswagen and a shiny blue Mustang, that Grace would one day like to own in full size.

Midway into the wedding ceremony of these two cruisers, Clayten dropped the groom on the floor and sat back pouting. "I'm hungry," he declared, his lips trembling. 

Nodding in agreement, Grace stood, wiping the dust from her knees, she held her hand out to him. "OK, let's see what this girl can scrounge up."  Clayten placed his tiny hand into hers, and together they made their way to the  spotless kitchen.

He showed her where the pans were and then settled at the granite island and played with his cars, while she prepared a hot ham and cheese. "Careful, it's hot," Grace warned him as she sat it in front of him.

"You didn't cut the crust off," he pointed out, crossing his arms and pouting.

"Okay, okay. I surrender just get rid of the face," she chuckled at his cute expression and began to saw off the thick crust. "Better?" He nodded.

Internally, she sighed. Tonight was going to be a long night, if he kept acting like this. "Clayten, can you tell me about your brother?" She ventured, letting her curiosity get the best of her.

He nodded, "he's the best. But, Daddy doesn't like him, and we aren't supposed to talk about him." Clayten focused on his sandwich, chewing slowly.

"Why?"

"He killed someone. Someone from the family." With that said, Clayten got off the stool, leaving his half eaten sandwich, and a confused Grace in his wake.

I am so sorry, it took me so long to update. My softball season has been hectic and today is the first day that I got off in the longest time. I hope you like this chapter, tell me what you think.