Chapter 38) Motel

"Stay close." Rick tells them.

The group does. They started walking in a formation that will have allow them to have eyes on all sides.

It's been nearly two weeks since the farm. When Y/N found this place on the map: Honey Grove, they all seemed relieved.

This could be a good place to live. Or, at the very least, find some food and supplies.

"Psst." Y/N whispers, nudging Rick with her arm. "There's a motel. That should fit all of us."

He nods. They slowly and quietly make their way over.

A few others go inside and check for walkers or god forbid, people. It's thankfully empty.

Everyone grabs their belongings and heads into the little motel lobby.

"Okay, so there are only five rooms so we'll each have to bunk with someone." Rick says. "It's already late so let's just get some sleep and we'll reconvene in the morning."

Daryl huffs. "I'll take the lobby. Y'all can split up the rooms."

Hershel and Beth claim a room. Maggie and Glenn take one. Carol and T-Dog take one.

"I wanna stay with mom." Carl says, still not talking to Rick.

Once everyone heads to their designated locations, Rick turns to Y/N. "I guess that leaves us."

Her heart flutters in her chest. "Yeah. Guess so."

All the way at the end of the hall, is room #5. Y/N grabs her bag and walks into the room, stopping short when she realizes that there's only one bed.

She turns around and comes face to face with Rick. "Sorry." She mumbles.

He notices the bed. "I can sleep on the floor, if you're more-"

"No. No it's okay." She answers a little too quickly. He raises an amused eyebrow but says nothing.

"Which side do you want?" He asks her.

"Right." She says.

He laughs. "That's the side I sleep on. You might wake up in the night and find me on top of you." He jokes.

Her eyes widen slightly. His face drops. "Not like that... f*ck. Sorry."

She laughs. "It's okay."

She has to turn away from him, pretending to search through her bag because of how red her face is.

She thinks back to the CDC. The towel. She thinks about their moment on the porch. She thinks about their kiss in the tent. How she borderline turned him down because of his marriage with Lori.

She wants him so bad. She's wanted him since the moment she saw him on that horse in Atlanta. She knows that he wants her too.

She remembers when he leaned close to her and whispered 'Don't pull away this time.' She thinks about that moment often.

Once her breathing has finally returned to normal, she turns around, to find Rick taking his shirt off. She finds herself staring at him.

When it's over his head, he looks at her. "I sleep shirtless." He mumbles.

She nods, not having enough confidence to speak.

He climbs into the bed, on the left side.

There's still the slightest bit of light from outside, shining in through the window.

Y/N starts to climb into bed but Rick glances at her. "You're wearing that?"

She looks down. She's back in her floral blouse since the weather has gotten colder. She has on her black jeans.

"Y/N, get comfortable. You haven't slept in a proper bed in ages."

She sighs. "Look away." He huffs a laugh and does as she says.

She takes off her blouse, and jeans, leaving her in a black bra and matching pair of underwear.

Rick glances backward and he inhales sharply at the sight of her. "You look nice." He says quietly. His voice has a light rasp to it which makes her thighs quiver.

She bites her lip to hide her smile as she climbs into bed. "Thanks."

She gets under the covers and lays on her right side, facing away from the sheriff. He sleeps on his left, facing away from her.

The room is dark now. "Goodnight." Y/N whispers.

"Goodnight, Y/N." He whispers back.
————————————————————————
The next morning, Y/N wakes up feeling very warm.

She opens her eyes to find Ricks arms wrapped around her waist. They are both now in the center of the bed. His face is nuzzled into the crook of her neck.

His breathing is soft. Her back is against his bare chest.

The two lay like that for a while. Y/N stares at the wall, a million thoughts running through her mind.

Eventually, Rick starts to stir, letting her know that he's waking up. After a moment, he lifts his head from her neck. She can hear him curse softly under his breath.

He slowly removes himself from Y/N's body. She closes her eyes and pretends to be asleep. He gets out of the bed, getting dressed, taking his warmth with him.

She peeks open her eye, watching him. He glances at her and quickly realizes that she's awake. "Sh*t. Sorry about..." He waves his arm, referencing the cuddling that just took place.

She shakes her head, sitting up, the covers falling slightly, revealing her bra again. "It's okay."

His eyes flicker to her chest for a brief moment. "No, really. I'm sorry."

She looks at him. "Rick, it's okay." She runs a hand through her hair. "I didn't mind it." Her face reddens again, and this time, a blush creeps onto Ricks face.

They don't move for a moment. Rick standing at the edge of the bed, Y/N sitting up in the middle of the blankets.

They just stare at each other.

Suddenly a knock on the door of their room breaks the trance.

"Dad, everyone's awake." Carls voice says through the door.

Rick clears his throat. "Be right out."

Footsteps are heard retreating and Rick sighs. "Meet you in the lobby." He says.

She nods, watching as he leaves the room.

She takes a deep breath. Did any of that really just happen?

Her heart pounds in her chest and she's faced with a major realization.

Holy sh*t. I'm in love with Rick Grimes.
————————————————————————