CHAPTER 9

"I can't believe father is making me go through with this! I know he is my cousin and we grew up together but still!" Rhaenyra ranted

Daenys sighed while looking down at her daughter sitting on her lap. "Your father is not making you go through with this. The King is making his heir go through this. It is necessary for the realm that you must marry and continue the Targaryen line."

"That is part of the issue. When anyone sees me all they see is either the heir or a woman. What about what I want? Was my autonomy sacrificed the moment all those lords swore to me?" The Princess complained as she paced up and down the room. 

"Alright, now you are making no sense." Daenys told her. 

"In what way?" Rhaenyra asked as she stopped. 

"Do you want the throne to be passed to Aegon?" Daenys asked. 

"No! Of course not!"

"Then perhaps you would like to see our century old dynasty finished?"

"No! Why are you asking me all these questions?" Rhaenyra asked bewildered. 

"To make up your mind! Sacrifices must be made. You need to choose which ones. If you want to be treated as plain old Rhaenyra Targaryen, then Aegon will be King. If you want to be heir to the Iron Throne, then you must marry. Stop all this whining about not getting what you want! Laenor Velaryon is the best option you could have. He makes sense strategically and in terms of comfort. The world is never going to give you what you want, you must work with what you have! You want them to stop looking at you as a woman, stop depending on men for solutions and come up with them yourself!" Daenys lectured.   

The air was tense for a moment. Silence ensued before the two princesses. All that could be heard were the incoherent babble of Daena. Rhaenyra walked over and slouched into the chair beside Daenys. 

"Whenever I had a problem, I would always go to Mother. Ever since she died- I can't go to Alicent. Not anymore. You were always like a mother to me. What would you have me do?" Rhaenyra asked in a gentle tone. 

"I assume the reason for not wanting to marry Laenor is because you have a paramour?" Daenys questioned. 

"I might."

"Someone who is not from a noble house?"

"Someone who my father would never accept."

Daenys sighed. "In that case, I have an inkling that Laenor's tastes don't vary from yours."

"Tastes?" Rhaenyra questioned. 

"Taste in a paramour." 

The younger princess gasped. "How do you know this?"

"There are some perks when your husband is the Master of Whisperers." Daenys said as she sipped her tea.