Chapter 8: The surprise

I sat in the room, it was empty.

"James, can I come out now?" I asked

"Not yet!" He replied.

Basically how I got here was James told me to stay while he got the big surprise set up for me.. I wonder what he's doing, it's been hours.

I rocked myself back and forth until I heard:

"Aiden, you can come out now!"

I jumped up onto my feet and ran down the stairs. I didn't see anythibg, just James.

"Where's the surprise?" I asked.

"Don't worry, Aiden, it's coming up later." He confirmed.

I smiled and he led me outside, where a romantic picnic was set up for us.

"Sit down, Aiden. We need to talk about what you saw before the surprise." He told me.

"Do we have to, James. I really just want to put it into the past and forget about it all." I said to him.

"Alright, Aiden. If you're sure you don't want to know the truth."

I felt intrigued to ask James what it was, but before I did. He started to talk.

"So, you forgive me for what you saw?" He asked me.

"Not yet.. Its still kinda processing.." I replied, trying to subconsciously let him know that I wanted to know the truth.

"Come on, Aiden. I can tell you want to know." He teased me.

"Yeah, kinda. I don't like what you did but I don't know the context.. Maybe it..."

"Was all for a reason?" He finished my sentence.

"Yeah. I feel kind of ashamed for thinking you cheated on me." I said.

"And why did you think I was cheating on you with a hand puppet that can talk?"

"I don't know, James! I feel so protective over you! You're an amazing man and I should've asked what you were doing before I just guessed." I blurted out.

"All good, Aiden. I would've thought the same if I saw you with another person.." He told me.

I hugged him and his face turned red.

"You wanna know the surprise?" He asked me.

"Of course I do!" I said.

We walked towards a empty patch of grass and he told me to stay. So I did.

He returned a couple minutes later and fell down.

"James, are you okay?!?"

"Yeah" he said while getting on one knee. "Aiden." He continued, "I love you and I have one question for you."

He brought out a velvet red box, and opened it. There was a diamond ring. "Will you marry me?" He asked.