Newton's Law

A date. 

A date?!

Okay, no. This was a good thing, Maya shouldn't be panicking about this. She shouldn't be frantically trying to impress the Italian…or sorry, she shouldn't be trying to frantically impress her wife.

Carina knew what was in Maya's closet, and yet Maya stood at the end of her bed, the tip of her thumb in her mouth as she scanned over the pile of clothes on the mattress. She didn't know why this was so difficult. She dressed herself perfectly fine everyday knowing there was a chance of seeing Carina, so why was it difficult now?

Right, because it was a date. It wasn't a casual glance across the barn, or a frantic run down ten blocks to see if she was okay, this was a sit down, talk kind of interaction, and Maya wasn't sure her anxious thoughts could succumb to a full meal with her beautiful, longful wife sitting across from her. 

It sounds silly when she thinks of it that way. She's her wife, it was supposed to be easy…breezy. But instead Maya was shaking like a leaf, scared that her nervous fumbles would tip them off this, hopefully fixable foundation. It needed to be secure, there was no point in building a light and bright future if their foundation was brittle…and that all started with a date. 

Her eyes scanned back over the mess on her bed, her agitated grunts being the only sound to fill the silence as she tried to pair an outfit together that would be accepted for a reservation at the Burmese restaurant...and most importantly be accepted by the Italian. 

She bit around the tip of her thumb a while longer, deep in thought when she gave up and threw the flannel she was holding across the room. Who wears a flannel on a date anyway? 

She sighed, watching as the item of clothing came crashing down on the small brown envelope on her nightstand. It contained something…something she wouldn't have hesitated to use months ago for her own gain, but now…it brought her nothing but repent, guilt and fear. It felt like acid burning her from the inside out. She didn't know what to do, should she report it? Burn them? It was all too much for her head to compress right now, and all that she wanted on her mind was Carina. 

What did she want to wear for their date?

But, should she tell someone about Dixon's schemes?

How should she approach Carina? 

What would happen if she did report the photos? 

Should she stop by the store for flowers? Chocolates?

Before when she blackmailed the chief, she had no proof…but now-

No! That's not what needs to be on her mind, she can't think like this, the work that she had put in during the last three months was to prevent thoughts like this… this was not her, she didn't blackmail people, she didn't let poor attempts at personal gain cause her to drift away from her wife. 

Her mind was occupied by two things right now, and one of them was more important, so why was her mind trying to convince her otherwise? It wasn't the first time Maya thought that she could do with a session with Diane, but right now, she could really use a brain twisting, mind mushing piece of advice. But did that also put Diane in a compromising position? How far did confidentiality stretch, especially in the fire department, Diane worked in the fire department, would she have to report this if Maya were to talk to her about it? 

Once again Maya found herself wanting to fall on the bed, tear through the fibres of her pillow. She had finally gotten to a point where she could believe that her and Carina were going to be okay, they were going on a date, they were not 'not' talking…and now this?! Maya's brain was vacant for most things, but she really wished Dixon and the whole  blackmailing the chief thing never wormed its way into her brain.