The Solar System

Surrounded by sunlight to some could be a dream. I dreamed about it once too. They don't know that the sun chokes you, swallows you whole. The sun suffocated me and shoved me down, forcing me to exert every little ounce of energy to it so it could outshine anything in its path. Then it left me. Left me to find energy in my weakened presence and regain the strength to stand and find myself once more. The sun drained me as if I was worth nothing more than just a source. It made me feel like nothing, it made me believe I was nothing. The sun deceived me into believing that giving it my time and energy would make me a star. I would never be a star.

Trapped by the sun I gave everything to it for the hope I'd be the shining star always beside it. I wanted to be around the sun just as badly as a baby bird wants to fly. I wanted to be the reason the sun shined so bright. But I was like the Earth... I circled the sun in a never ending cycle and wouldn't stop until I was what the sun promised, a star. I just wanted to shine, I wanted to feel needed and loved. Instead I was used just as the plants needed the sun, I, as earth, needed the attention from the sun. The sun gave me its light and it sent me on a rush of warmth and stability, but as soon as I didn't give anymore the rush was gone.

The earth, that's what I was. Used by many for beauty then treated like trash. As the sun faded I realized I would never be one of the stars above. Then came the moon, the moon was nothing like the sun. The moon never asked me to give it anything, never suffocated me in its light for it didn't have light but instead reflected the light from the stars and told me how beautiful it made everything look. The moon made me shine brighter than any sun ever would. An angel of light, a presence that didn't need light to shine—that's how the moon made the earth feel. The Earth didn't have to circle the moon giving up all of its energy because the moon circled the Earth protecting it and reminding it that it didn't need anything to stay, for it would stay no matter what. I no longer wanted to be a star, for the stars don't have a moon.