Prelude

Updated 6/18/23

Brittney's POV:

Me: Please, Jake, stop!

I plead as I fight him with all of my might.

J: You keep it up and I'ma beat you unconscious bitch.

He raises his hand up like he was gonna hit me and I flinch.

Hey. I'm Brittney. You may be wondering what's going on, so I'ma catch you up.

Flashback 2 Years Ago

I wake up to the blistering sun shining through my window. I get out of bed and go to the kitchen to find something to eat.

Me: Morning J.

I greet my brother, Jonas, as I pour myself some orange juice.

Jo: Sup Brit. How'd you sleep?

He asks as he kiss my forehead.

Me: I slept alright. I had a dream about mom again.

Jo: Same kind or different?

He hands me a plate of breakfast and I take a bite.

Me: Same one. We should go see her.

Jo: Yeah, I do miss her.

We sat in silence as we reminisce the little time we had together as a family. My mom died when I was two, and our dad left us shortly after. We've stayed with our godparents until Jonas was old enough to get his own place. I didn't want to move in with him because I wanted him to have his own space, but he insisted that we stick together.

I finish my plate and put it in the sink.

Me: Thanks for breakfast.

Jo: No problem. Get dressed and we can go.

I walk back in my room and get ready to take a shower.

Some Hours Later

Jo: Hey, you down to go to this kickback with me?

Jonas peeks over my room door as he waits fot my response.

Me: Yeah sure.

Jo: Alright, I'm getting ready now. Don't be tryna dress all skimpy and shit.

Me: Whatever Jonas.

He leaves out as I go in my closet to find something to wear.

I check myself in the mirror and apply some clear lip gloss. Jonas peeks back in.

Jo: You ready?

I grab my purse before answering.

Me: Yeah.

I follow him out of the house to his car. The ride was pretty chill, but I was too busy thinking about this party. Who all will be there? Will it be a huge crowd? Will there be food? Will the music be bumping or dead?

Jo: We here.

I blink my eyes as I get back to reality. I get out of the car and follow Jonas inside of the house. He finds a friend of his and greets him.

Jo: Mike, my boy!

M: Wassup J?

He looks over at me and back at Jonas.

M: You got your sister to come? Oh shit we gotta take some shots.

Jonas motions me to come.

Jo: You don't have to drink if you don't want to.

He says as Mike leads us to the bar. He grabs a shot and passes it to me.

Me: No thank you. I'm good.

M: No pressure. You want water or soda?

Me: If you have sprite, I'm fine with that.

He grabs a can of sprite and gives it to me.

Me: Thanks.

Jo: Hey, stay here. I'll be right back.

Me: You don't have to worry J, I stay to myself anyway.

He kisses my forehead before following Mike elsewhere. I sit on the barstool as I look at everyone enjoying their time. I turn to look towards the bar and take another sip of soda. In my periphial, I see someone sit in the seat next to me. I ignore him and continue drinking.

G: Hey wassup lil mama.

I give him a side eye.

G: I'm Jake. You mind giving me your name?

Me: Sir I don't mean to be rude, but why are you talking to me?

He puts his hands up.

J: I come in peace. I just saw you here by yourself and wanted to start a conversation.

I look at him before responding.

Me: Brittney.

J: Nice to meet you Brittney.

He holds out his hand and I shake it.

Me: Sorry for being rude, I usually stay to myself.

J: No need to apologize. I hope it's okay if I stay here and chat with you for a bit.

He smiles at me as I return it.

Me: Sure.

Jake and I really hit it off after the encounter. He was such a gentleman to me and found anyway to see me. After some time of dating, he changed.

I remember the first time he put his hands on me. I didn't call him back after a long day at work during the summer. He came to my house unannounced to "check on me." We got into an argument and he slapped me across the face.

I didn't really grow scared of him until I moved in with him. He convinced me that it would better our relationship, but it only got worse. He don't let me go out by myself, and sexually assaults me. If I don't abide by him, he beats me. Sometimes he assaults me while I'm unconscious from his beatings.

I want to leave, but I'm afraid he is going to kill me and/or my family. I didn't tell Jonas because I know he will try to fight Jake, but I'ms scared that Jake will literally kill him. I just want all of this to end.