Chapter Nine

Rumors of the Princess's late night activities had spread quickly, Aerys had been called to Viserys chambers that night

Rumors of the Princess's late night activities had spread quickly, Aerys had been called to Viserys chambers that night. The Prince and heir to the Iron throne sat in a chair near the lit fireplace in the King's chambers. The flames casted shadows across his face turning the prince into his epithet, the Ice Prince.

As the doors to King Viserys' rooms opened, an angry Aerys was the first thing Rhaenyra saw as she entered the room. She attempted to smile at her uncle but his face remained stoic, his eyes cold.

"Have a seat, Rhaenyra." Viserys ordered from the corner he stood in, startling his daughter.

Rhaenyra scurried to the seat across from Aerys, glancing at her uncle from the corner of her eye. Rhaenyra had never seen Aerys so angry, and to think bart of that rage was directed at her.

"My dagger," Viserys spoke bending down and removing the blade from the fire. "Once belonged to Aegon the Conqueror. It was Aenar's before that. And before that, well it is difficult to know.  Before Aegon's death, the last of the Valyrian pyromancers hid his song in the steel."

Viserys handed the blade to his daughter, careful not to burn her.

"From my blood come the Prince That Was Promised and his will be a song of Ice and Fire." Rhaenyra read.

"The responsibility I have handed to the two of you, the burden of this knowledge it is larger than the throne, the King." Viserys directed to his brother, before turning to face his daughter. "It is larger than you and your desires. Jaehaerys would've disinherited you."

"For a lie? Youve yet to ask me for the truth of what happened."

"The truth does not matter, Rhaenyra. Only perception. You have exposed yourself. Now we all must suffer the consequences."

"Were I born a man, I could bed whomever I wanted. I could father a dozen bastards, and no one in your court would blink an eye."

"You are right, but you were born a woman."

"So you'll strip me of my titles."

"I would. But Aerys has begged for your pardon. Your courtship is at an end. You will wed Aerys, and you will do so without protest."

Rhaenyra looked to Aerys both grateful and hurt that he had done this without asking her.

"And what will you do about the vulture who perches on your throne?"

"What vulture?"

"Your Hand."

"Otto Hightower has served two kings loyally and faithfully." Viserys denied.

"He wants Aegon to be named heir."

"Tell me brother, are you not suspicious of how Alicent Hightower came into your rooms the night of Aemma's funeral? Do you not doubt that she came on her own accord?" Aerys finally spoke up.