Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Rhysand had only ever seen Cassian interact with other children when he was a youngling himself. Back then, he had looked at everybody with a burning fire in his eyes. It was the type of fire that ripped through forests on high winds, untameable and violent, dangerous in a way that made people tremble just to be standing before it. There was still a fire, Rhysand realised, as Cassian sat with Arwen. A fire like the one only feet away burning in the hearth; warm and pleasant and kind.

Arwen's steps were off balance as both her hands were outstretched, proudly presenting her latest drawing. Scribble, Rhysand called it. Cassian spoke through smiling lips. "What the hell is it?"

Rhysand snorted into his mug.

Arwen began pointing at the different marks of scrawled pencil, babbling incoherently.

"I cannot believe you both don't recognise your own home," Mor huffed. "The one in Windhaven."

The brothers both squinted, Rhysand perched on an armchair behind Cassin's spot on the floor. He could, in fact, begin to make out the rough shape of the small house. "Muntins!" Arwen exclaimed, pointing to large shapes behind the building that had no distinguishable outline. Cassian gave her a sound of understanding and pointed to more of the mountain shapes. Arwen placed it in his lap, announcing, "Cassen," before wandering off to another piece of paper laying on the floor.

"Thank you," he replied earnestly.

"She'll know if you throw it away," Rhysand teased as Cassian inspected his new 'gift.' "It's like a damn sense she has. Fair warning, she also likes to climb on people."

Like his words were an announcement introducing a performance, Arwen returned with her second sheet of parchment, the corner wrinkled in her small fist. With her other hand, she gripped a strip of leather on Cassian's chest and put a foot on his thigh. His hands went to assist her but remained hovering as she succeeded without his help.

"What's this one?" asked Cassian.

Arwen shifted from foot to foot, frowning at her drawing. Rhysand knew the look. He placed his drink aside and leant forward. "Let me see," he said. Arwen allowed him to take the picture, watching him deduce as she held onto the warrior's shoulder. He smiled and handed it back. "A rainbow, Arwen."

The word must have daunted her as she didn't attempt to say it, instead pushing it into Cassian's chest. "Another one for me?" Cassian chuckled deeply. "Thank you." Arwen gave a toothy grin, proud of herself as her new friend placed it with the other and then went to exploring the numerous strappings and buckles of his armour. "I was never this small," he said decidedly.

"We were all that small once," Mor snorted.

"Not me. I came out looking like this, built with pure muscle and power."

Rhysand knew that was the most untrue thing he had ever heard. Cassian, when he had met him (if being beaten for the clothes off his back counted as 'meeting' someone), had been a scrawny thing. Strong, yes, but more in determination than in muscle. It hadn't been until he had the steady meals Rhysand's mother made that he began to build into the male he was today.

"Do you want me to take her off your hands?" Rhysand asked as Arwen put her mouth around a silver latch that he truly hoped had been cleaned more recently than not.

Cassian laughed like his uniform wasn't being slobbered on. "We're getting along just fine, aren't we?" Arwen let out a squeal of agreeance as he tapped her cheek. "Besides, I can't stay long as I'd like."

Rhysand knew what was left unsaid. They were family, by blood or not, and Arwen now belonged to it. He'd take the company of his family where he could, especially one that would not understand his leaving.