The Semicolon

The semicolon is-hands down-my favorite punctuation mark, and I REALLY, REALLY hate to see it abused. Let's all vow to end semicolon abuse!!

A semicolon has two very specific uses. It is never the substitute for a comma or a colon. EVER.

Semicolon Rule #1

A semicolon is used to separate two independent clauses that are very closely related. (An independent clause is a complete thought. It could be a stand-alone sentence.)

Semicolons, when used sparingly and properly, create memorable sentences for your reader. Use them when you want to show a stark contrast or when you really want a detail to stand out. Using them SPARINGLY is key here. They are very special punctuation marks and should be reserved for very special sentences.

Here are some examples:

The cops weren't looking for a person anymore; they were looking for a corpse.

Kara was an individualist by genetics; she had reached six foot one by age eleven.

You make people show up; I make them disappear.

Notice that the semicolons above could all be replaced with a period and they would still be correct!

Semicolon Rule #2

Use semicolons to separate complicated elements in a list. Typically, these elements are long and may require the use of commas within them.

Here are some examples:

She had lived in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina; Nashville, Tennessee; and Emerson, Georgia.

We have three dignitaries on our list: General Wallace Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; Admiral James A. Winnefeld, Jr., Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; and General Frank J. Grass, Chief of the National Guard Bureau.

She had successfully restrained herself from contacting him all the times before: when she first left town, deeply sorry for walking away; when she graduated from college, and he was the person she wanted to share it with the most; and even when her mother sent his engagement announcement, and she cried for three solid days.

**************

This chapter is dedicated to one of my new FAVORITE AUTHORS, @KellyWilliams701.

I finished reading her Civil War novel, Blue Honor, in just two days! Do yourself a favor and check her out!