Treasure

The year is 2114.

Ronald Sr. looked at his teenage grandson curiously. The young boy seemed to be fixated with something, staring at the sixty inch television screen with acute interest. He was probably watching the new season of Doctor How.

"Archie ?" Ronald called out. The young boy did not answer.

"Would you please listen to me for a millisecond ?" he asked again. This time the boy threw him an annoyed look.

"What ? Cant you'd see that I am busy right now !" he moaned.

"Can you drop me to the Scribbler Moon City Hall ? Sorry, my solar car broke down." That was a lie. Ronald's solar car couldn't have been in a better shape. Thanks to the new sunshine spray.

Archie stood up unwillingly, muttering something under his breath. He grabbed his keys from the table.

" Fine. Lets go."

Sitting in the new sports solar car, Ronald felt a sense of anticipation take over him. His palms were sweating. He rubbed them nervously. He knew today was the day. He had been awaiting this moment for too long.

__

A few days ago, Ronald and his group of other old men were in their club house discussing pension plans, politics and the weather - their usual daily talk when the conversation took an interesting turn.

"You won't believe what happened today. Mia, my little grand daughter, pointed to an old picture of mine and said ' What is that weird square thing you hold in your hands, grandpa !'. The picture was taken when I was in high school. I had won the first edition book of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in a debate competition. I was so proud of myself. " With that Old Mr Michaelo wiped a tear from his left eye.

"Well, that is a good book." Ronald patted his back, unsure of his sudden strange reaction.

"No !" cried Mr Michealo, "I am not crying because of that. I know it is a good book, Ronald. The reason it hurts is that my grand daughter does not even know what a book is. For her, it is something weird. Can you imagine that ?"

All the old men nodded their heads in agreement. They did not seem shocked. Most of their grandchildren were the same. They had dealt with this before.

"Well ?" Michaelo looked around the table at his mates. They stared back at him gravely.

"What are we going to be do about it ?" he asked exasperatedly.

"I do not think there is something to be done. Kids, these days, find books boring and tedious. Also, weird as you pointed out." Ronald replied with a shrug.

"I disagree. The children must know and cherish the value of books. I remember my younger days; Perched on top of the old mango tree in my backyard, reading the newest Harry Potter novel in the warm summer afternoon. Those were some amazing days." Michaelo answered back.

"There is one thing we can do. But, I am not sure if we should go on with it." Ronald spoke quietly. The others looked at him with interest.

"Pray, tell us Ronald. Please." piqued a particularly curious Mr Suki.

Ronald took a deep breath and leaned forward. He wetted his lips before saying, "The future library." Everyone gasped.

"Are you sure ?" asked Michaelo.

"Why not ? I think this is the correct time to unlock it. This generation needs us. This is the hour of need." Ronald emphasised clearly and with a lot of determination.