7. The King Of Rabies

After our chat, we went out to the garden so Brax could pick whatever he wanted to finish his nest and make it his.

My mind was still reeling after everything Phoenix had told me. He turned out to be none other but the freaking king of Dragons, and I, a mere human found the lost heir of dragons. Everything just seemed too crazy.

It seems that whoever kidnapped Brax's egg with him inside was still on the loose and had access to the human realm, which not everyone in this realm had. Only the royal family and powerful mages have the ability to summon a portal to other realms which made this criminal more dangerous because it could be hiding anywhere and could appear at any time which I knew has Phoenix worried, though he makes sure to show no emotion.

But I knew better. I didn't have to be a parent to know that when your kid is in danger, you worry a lot and won't rest until the threat is eliminated.

So now Brax couldn't go anywhere alone, not that he would want to anyway because he was like a sea star leeched onto either his dad or me.

After an incredibly great amount of time later, watching Brax going from one place to the other in the garden and the forest surrounding it, he made a pile of random stuff on his dad's feet of things he wanted to put on his nest.

Good luck trying to fit all that in it, buddy.

I laughed when Brax sat in front of his pile whit his tongue out, signaling he was done collecting interesting shit for his nest. I had to contain the laugh when Phoenix tried to collect all of it on his arms, leaves and pebbles falling onto the floor. Brax barked and grabbed a small tree branch to help his poor dad.

Brax trots happily back into the enormous palace which still amazed me. A real palace! I felt as if I'd been sucked into a fantasy book that narrates a fairytale. But this was real. And sadly, instead of a knight in shining armor, I was trapped with an ogre. A handsome one, yeah, but an ogre nevertheless.

Phoenix lies everything on the floor and he and I watch in silence how Brax starts building the rest of his nest leaving a mess behind, but Phoenix doesn't pay attention to that. He had his eyes fixated on his son and I hate to admit it, but I started to feel my heart melting at the clear love and care the big man felt toward his baby boy.

When the pile of shit was gone, Brax trotted toward his dad and out of nowhere, bit down on his shirt and started pulling while growling. Phoenix laughed and pulled his shirt off to surrender it to his son who clumsily dragged it until it was in his nest among the other stuff.

I stare at the bare chest of Phoenix and feel my whole face heat up. Damn, the man looked as if was sculpted by angels. His tan skin and his chest covered with a good amount of dark curly hair made the view divine. And who knew tattoos would look so sexy on someone? Having that kind of dark beauty should be illegal.

Fuck. He was... a man you could find in a woman's fantasy.

A tug in my shirt startled me and I looked down to see Brax trying to pull my shirt as he did with his dad.

"Brax, no!" I say mortified that he wanted my shirt just so I could end up only in my bra in front of a man I barely know and I was sure hated me. "What is he trying to do?!"

I look at Phoenix for help. I could only see his displeasure.

"Cubs usually finish their nest with something that holds their parents' scents" he explains and my heart skips a beat.

"But... I'm not..."

He growls ever so lowly.

"I know," he says with contentment "but you were the first person he saw after hatching and you've been taking care of him so far so he sees you as his mother"

"Oh," I only say. I already had the feeling of Brax's sentiment toward me, but Phoenix saying it made it real.

The sound of fabric ripping made me panic when I found myself sitting there with just my bra on. I shriek embarrassed and cover myself with my arms instantly.

"Brax, you little brat" I hiss, mortified.

I dared to glimpse at Phoenix who was staring at what my arms were covering, his jaw clenching and unclenching.

"I-I am sorry. I don't have anything else with me here..."

I hear him swear under his breath. Yeah, I bet he wanted so badly to make me disappear. He and me both, buddy.

He stands up and disappears into another room and comes back with a new shirt on and another one in his hands which he throws at me. I catch it and don't waste time putting it on, feeling relief I am no longer exposed to the devil.

The silence reined for a while until Brax felt like his nest was finally done and hopped onto the floor trotting directly to his dad where he started sniffing like crazy. I frown, wondering what another weird custom they have and what I have missed.

Phoenix relaxed his body and opened his body to Brax knowing somehow what his son was up to. I keep staring until his muzzle stops on Phoenix's wrist and without hesitation, he bites down. I notice Phoenix tensing but he relaxes instantly.

"Uh... What was that?"

He looks at me from the corner of his eye.

"Baby dragons mark their parents to signify their bond as a family. The marks tell anyone who looks that I have a son and that he has acknowledged me as his father" he explains looking at the red mark on his wrist.

I feel my face paling, remembering when the little shit bit me out of the blue.

Brax stands next to me and barks at his dad.

He growls.

"No," he says sharply standing showing his broad back.

Brax whines and starts biting at his ankles.

He growls again and his deadly eyes stare down at me.

"Did he bite you at some point?"

His voice was low and guttural. It felt like I was talking to a beast more than a human and it spread goosebumps all over my skin.

I nod fearing his reaction. It happened when I was showering. I learned that I had to bring Brax with me or else he would scream and scratch the door, he wanted to go everywhere with me. At least, I could keep him in check knowing he wouldn't make a mess while I was under the water.

He had thrown my serum to the floor breaking the bottle of glass. I had to pick him up so he wouldn't get hurt by the glass. That's when he lowered his face and bit down on my breast right on my nipple. It hurt so bad I dropped him too shocked with pain. It surprised me when I didn't see any trace of blood around the wound, but I spent the rest of the day with a pack of ice on my breast. I remember I didn't speak to him much that day, mad that he would hurt me.

I was really hoping now that he hadn't just marked me as his mother, bonding me as his family, Phoenix won't like that at all and I was scared he would take his anger on me.

His eyes turned bright red, his canines sharpening and growing in length.

Uh... Fuck.

🐉🐉🐉

Well damn, seems Lilly is in trouble!