5-2: Copper Veins

Wakasu was a small rural settlement between the hills of Sayo, nestled in the eastern region of the Hyogo prefecture. There were only three dozen houses and most of them were built by the road while a few were built a ways walk down divergent dirt paths.

Kanae was side-saddled behind Ritsuki, riding atop Akai as they passed under the town's southern gate. Perhaps it was because Wakasu was such a small settlement, but Ritsuki found it strange that there was not even a guard or watchmen to greet them at the gate.

"You should perhaps keep a ready sword arm, Momota-san," Kanae spoke up softly from behind him as she gestured to the sun receding behind the hills to their left.

"I see..." The young man acknowledges after a moment with a nod. Reaching behind into his haori, he pulled out the tachi he kept hidden away and rested it below his hip. The chains of the kusarigama wrapped around his forearm rattled as he pulled them a little loose.

They were on their way to the northwestern part of town where a copper mine was suffering from mysterious disappearances the past few weeks.

"Do we know what we are looking for, Kocho-sama?" Ritsuki spoke up, "We can be assured that it's all the work of a demon?"

"We can be assured, Momota-san." Kanae places a hand on his shoulder, "While mining accidents and disappearances are unfortunately quite common; deaths from asphyxiation, poisonous air, or such usually leave behind a body we can recover."

"I suppose that is not the case with this particular copper mine?"

"I'm afraid not, Momota-san." Kanae shakes her head causing Ritsuki to take a gulp.

Looking off to his right, he saw the sun finally sink below the crest of the hills.

"Kocho-sama..." he spoke up, prompting her attention, "If we do find a demon here, we will no doubt have a fight."

She responded with a soft, solemn sigh.

"That is usually how it goes," Her tone was most melancholic, telling of a life already scarred by countless battles, "Do you find it alarming, Momota-san?"

"Not at all, it just sounds too simple how you say it," Ritsuki admits after a moment to consider her inquiry.

Kanae offers a soft sigh.

"Perhaps it is for the others..." she gingerly says, mostly to herself but seemed to arouse Ritsuki's interest, "Ah... I misspoke, don't mind it Momota-san." she quickly waved with an eyeful smile.

Ritsuki decided not to press too much. Instead, he turned to ask something that had been weighing on his mind about the whole thing.

"Kocho-sama. You are comfortable fighting alongside someone like me?" He hesitantly asked, unconsciously stiffening up as he gripped Akai's reins a little tighter.

There was a pause.

"I have faith in your strength." The young lady reassures, her voice becoming gentler and soothing.

She continues, "You claim you have no memory of when you turn, but I saw how potent and immaculately you strike while avoiding collateral damage. Two young boys stood between you and your target, and you managed to keep them both safe while defeating the demon of the bay with a single blow."

A little flushed at the honest compliment, the young man turned back to see her smiling brightly.

"You said that you rarely ever practised after you moved to the mountains, but your poise is most refined. You must have trained quite a lot in the past." She ponders with a slight tilt of her head.