Chapter Twenty-Nine

Once Alera was seated on the edge of her father's bed, the healer and servants and advisers and guards took it upon themselves to see their way out so that she and the King could converse in private. Only her wolves remained, lingering by the door and keeping watch in their own way.

Already her father looked more like himself, with the color coming back to his cheeks and life sparkling again in his eyes.

"It seems there is much to explain," her father started, as Alera took his hand between hers.

"A lot has happened," she said softly, "and if I had any idea of what Nicholas was capable of, I never would have left."

The king brought his other hand over and covered hers as he slowly shook his head. "If I had known what Nicholas was capable of, I never would have agreed to arrange the marriage between you."

"I know why you did it," she breathed out. "I was a burden and you were doing what was best for the kingdom—"

"I was doing what was best for me," he admitted as he cut her off. "I took advantage of the first offer I received, without thinking about the ramifications and I am not proud of it."

"But why? Why were you so ready to let me go?"

"Because I thought it would be what you wanted. I knew how miserable you were, and how you were treated by even my own advisors." He shook his head. "I thought it would be a new beginning for you, a new start away from all of this."

"And away from everyone I loved."

He sighed and nodded. "Yes— I had heard that it was Jere and Palo who helped escort you away from the Kingdom." He looked up and around. "Where are they now?"

She smiled ever so slightly. "Jere helped reclaim the castle. He rallied the people and together they held back Nicholas' men while I faced the prince myself. Palo remained behind—"

"You went to the forest then."

She paused and looked out the window, as if she could see through to the forest village. "How come you never told me about my mother's people?"

The king turned to follow her gaze as if he could see what she saw— those buildings and the people and the bonfire through the trees. A small smile even played on his lips as she turned back to him. "I always felt if I talked about your mother, I would never do her memory justice. Vessa chose to come with me because she knew I couldn't remain with her people, but in doing so she lost that part of herself that thrived.

"I think that's why Palo remained this time. He never wanted to leave before— he never wanted to bring Nyla back but I insisted, and she was ever so loyal to Vessa. I feel like I damned both of them..." He looked back to her. "Just like I almost did to you."

She squeezed his hand and smiled ever so slightly, the best she could do to reassure him that she was there, and she was listening. Though it still didn't resolve their problems, the largest one currently residing within their dungeons.

"How is Hevea?" her father asked after a beat of silence between them.

"Injured but healing," she said honestly. "Nicholas attacked the village people— it's what lured me out. I owe it to them to return, to check on them, and to help them rebuild in any way they need."

"Spoken like a true ruler." He sounded proud.

"I suppose it's all I can do before I leave."

"And where are you going?"

"Aren't I to be arranged with someone else now, since Nicholas is no longer a viable option?"

"Oh, Alera." The king shook his head. "If there's anything that any of this has taught me, it's that you are in a position to choose your own path. Your future is yours, and you have paved it in your own way."