two. they pulled me apart

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

⚠️ TW: SEXUAL ASSAULT AND RAPE ⚠️

"you knew it still hurts underneath my scars,
from when they pulled me apart."
hoax by taylor swift

Approaching the table of frustrated teens, the Phantom stays silent, noticing the disgruntled look on Kaz's face.

"Nice of you to join us, my dear Phantom" Jesper chides, swinging his legs up onto the table. Earning a dirty look from the leather gloved man.

"I was there the whole time, Jesper. Making sure you didn't dig us a deeper hole. I heard every conversation." Malakai sits across from him, grinning in victory, once again. Leaning back in her chair, she pulls her face covering down but settles back further into her hood.

"Speaking of digging holes, here's what I don't get." Jesper tilts his head and squints at the small girl across from him, who sighs in exasperation.

"We're going to be here all night." Inej speaks, smiling down at the knife she twists in her hands.

"Rude." Leaning forward, Jesper looks around at his friends. "Why haven't they tried going under it? Just dig a tunnel."

"People have already tried that. Like, a whole century ago."

Kaz looks down at the cane in his hands in deep thought. "Something... heard them digging."

"Okay, so it was made hundreds of years ago by that crazy Grisha..." The gunslinger continues.

"The Black Heretic." Inej corrects him.

"Yeah, the one who controls shadow. They've got one in their army now, don't they? General Kirigan?"

Kaz glances at the girl still cloaked in darkness, her knuckles turning white. She catches his eye.

"Your point?"

Jesper lowers his voice. "If one of his kind made it, can't he unmake it?"

"Have you ever put out fire by adding more fire?"

"Then what's the opposite of this?"