The Fireworks

Killua walked through the busy stands as he held his grip tight on the fabric of his kimono. His small body moved right and left in a disordered pace with each new person sliding away, bumping him on the way. The blue fabric in his hand felt smooth and cold, that was probably the only familiar feeling he felt out here, away from home for the first time. As another huge man bumped into him Killua looked up, bowing as an apology even though he wasn't the one at fault.

"Nah kiddo, ma mistake. Just don't hurt ya self!" The man laughed, the scent of bitter alcohol overwhelmed his lungs as Killua looked at the colourful papers in his hand, they seemed to have writings on them. And also small pictures on the other side, hand drawn ones. As the man drifted into the crowd as a wave drifts into the ocean, Killua felt overwhelmed, once again.

It was overwhelming.

Everything was busy, moving, shining, and last but not least happy. All those things were the main concepts Killua wasn't good at understanding and taking in. He was more used to loneliness, dead people, concrete walls, and emptiness. It was just a bit different.

Killua backed away just beside a tree as he watched the crowd, his grip loosening in relaxation. The whole festival was full of people, colours and sounds. As the chatter of the streets got quieter and with each hour that passed Killua heard some of the voices around more significantly.

And he sat there on a rock. He watched the people from where he was, he watched them walk away, he watched them eat their food, he watched them laugh, he watched them have fun with family and friends...

And he sat there for god knows how long.

Until he felt a touch on his right shoulder, so gentle and soft. Killua shrieked in fright as his hand went to his heart, he felt his breath hitch from the sudden shock. His head turned to where the action was committed with a fast motion as his electric blues locked with two honey-brown ones. His mouth opened slightly as his audible breathing finally stabilised itself. And then the boy did something Killua did not expect at all.

He smiled.

His smile spread all over his round face as his upper-cheeks turned into small balls, rising as if someone squished his face into their palms. And Killua watched him, his eyes more dazed than they ever were.

"Hi!" The boy said enthusiastically as he leaned his head to the side. Killua did not answer. "I've never seen you around." He said, Killua kept watching him. He watched how the boy's eyes widened, his mouth opening widely.

"Oh, can you understand me?! My name. Is. GON! What. Is. Yours?!" He said, highlighting every single word. And then Killua felt it, a small hand on his, sliding to his wrist. He pulled his arm and hid it in his sleeve as a reflex, making the boy back away.

"D-don't do that, please." He said, but it came out as a weak whimper.

"Do what?" Gon asked, scratching the back of his neck.

"T-touch me without consent." Killua suddenly watched Gon blush, his cheeks painting themselves in a nearly transparent tone of pink.

"I'm so sorry, geez, that was rude of me."

"It's not a problem." Killua shifted in his seat as he watched the boy crouch down in front of him to be eye-to-eye, as if that'd help the poor white haired boy.

"I'm really sorry, I just never saw someone my age in these festivals before! There aren't many kids here." Gon said, looking at Killua with precaution.

"I've never met anyone my age either." Killua said, finally having the guts to look up to those sparkly eyes shine even brighter with happiness.

"What's your name? I'm Gon Freecs, I live on the southeast side of the island with my aunt!" Killua pauses for a moment, questioning if he should tell the truth or lie. And he chose to lie.