The fun shall begin

The morning started.
A sunrise colored the previously black sky in warm colors near the star itself, a nice breeze ran through the fields, gently brushing the wheat and potatoes of the cold acres. The countries of the calm morning rose.

In the small town of Hukkyo¹, people were leaving their homes, getting ready to go to work. Lots of tires rolled on the highways, but only bicycles's tires. Only one bus, who was quite empty passed.

Welcome to the Hermit Kingdom, also known as North Korea. 

Hye-Soo² quickly ran towards her own bicycle and jumped onto it. No need for a helmet, she got on her way.
"I'm gonna be late, I'm gonna be late!" she told herself.
She overtook many adults that looked at her weirdly, like she was being dumb.
Five minutes later, she went at a normal speed, just like everyone, because the way was long.

She had to go to Songlim³ which was around 28 kilometers (or roughly 17 miles) away from Hukkyo. Even going through the main highway - full of bicycles - it took her over an hour.

She arrived in Songlim barely in time, putting her bicycle protection-less on the side of the theater and entering. She quickly changed into more civilised clothing, not forgetting to wear the pin with her two leaders on the chest. 
When entering the main room, all of the other students were present, already practicing and chatting.

"I've been expecting you" said the choral teacher.
"I'm sorry, professor, I missed my bus..." answered Hye-Soo.
"It's okay, now go to your place, we're soon going to start" responded the teacher.

The teacher was a very well known singer in her country, she was part of the Pochonbo Electronic Ensemble for years, and sung hits like Whistle ⁴, My Heart is Happy⁵, and hundreds of other songs. 

"Come on, everybody, are you ready?" asked the teacher.
"Yes!" answered politely the students, gathering together and setting their instruments.
"Great, now on three. One - two- and three!"

The violin and the piano were first to be heard, followed by the flute. 
The choir, fully made out of young girls, started singing, but stopped quickly when they heard
the sinful sound of a voice crack. The instruments stopped and the group started laughing.

"Don't mock me ~" said Hye-Soo, "I didn't have time to warm up my voice!" she said giggling.
After a short time, they went again, and soon, the choir started singing:

"Is the gentle breeze carrying my cheerful song as it goes?
  Is the flowing city water carrying my joyful words?
  The bright sun of fragrance, spreads my hope far and wide,
  Like a bird flying through the sky, My Heart is Happy~
"⁶

The young sound-alike voices were chanting in perfect harmony, seeming almost like one voice dubbing over itself over and over. As they ended their song, the teacher congratulated them and kept on singing other songs.

This was Hye-Soo's life. Nearing her seventeenth birthday, she was singing and training. She loved to express her voice in the magnificent melodies she knew by heart, trying again and again to sound better than most citizens.

She was born in North Korea, in a time where Kim Jong-Il still was the leader. Under the heavy propaganda, through the art, the history, or the songs, she grew to love her general, even though she lived through the Arduous March⁷. 

Just like her family and friends, she believed everything that was said on TV, radio, ect.
We are the richest, we are the most powerful, we're the best.

But it was not time for nationalism just yet, as singing was a priority.

When the lessons ended, as everyone was packing up, preparing to set off, a loud voice rung through the theater: "Hye-Soo!"
Hye-Soo turned quickly towards her teacher, and quitted her more personal attitude of talking to her friends.
"Come see me" said the teacher on a softer voice.

"Yes, professor?" said Hye-Soo after coming. She thought her lack of advance meant a quick correction.
"You are really talented, you should be proud! I've come to notice your aptitude to hold low and high notes - very high notes in fact - and I wondered if you had another training before we met?" asked the teacher.
"I did not, professor, I just am able to do this, I guess." she said giggling.
"Certainly. Now - would you mind participating to a small concert in Pyongyang?"⁸

Hye-Soo's eyes started to shine, she could be singing in front of many persons, and  visit Pyongyang? The best town in the whole country ?

"I would be honored, professor!" answered Hye-Soo, cheerfully.
"Ah, great to hear! The concert is in a week, you'll be replacing another comrade who fell due to health issues,  here is the song list!" she said while handing a small letter to her student.
"Thank you, professor" said Hye-Soo, taking the letter with two hands.

She went on her bicycle, while happily reciting the songs she practiced, thinking about her time in Pyongyang. She repeated one song in loop, My Heart is Happy.

--------------------------------
End of Chapter 1

1 - (흑교/heugkyo), changed to sound like the pronunciation
2 - (혜수/hyé-su)
3 - (송림)
4 - Whistle is a hit of the 90s North Korea, a song about a boy being too anxious to flirt with his crush, and starting whistling instead. Since then, it has been common to see boys flirt with girls by a whistle, usually using the melody of the song.
It is 휘파람, pronounced Hwipalam.

5 - My Heart is Happy is a known song, part of the "With Pride medley", chanting about happiness. The last part refers to the country, calling it great, and compares happiness with meeting the sun, a reference to Kim Jong Il's nickname. It is written 내 마음 즐거워라 and pronounced Nè ma-um julgòwòla. (ò = open o, as in open).

7- The Arduous March is a nickname for the famine that happened in North Korea during Jong-Il's reign. The word famine is banned in the country as it refered to a lack of good decisions by the government.

8 - Pyongyang is the capital, known to be the best city of all.

6 - Adaptated from the original lyrics of My Heart is Happy (see note n°5) for english and to remain singable. Here are the original lyrics:

스치는 바람결도 내 노래 담았는가춤추며 흐르는 시내물도 이 기쁨 담았는가향도의 밝은 해님 내 희망 펼쳐주니종다리 저 하늘 날으는듯 내 마음 즐거워라

새벽길 걸을 때면 노을빛 얹어주고나 흘로 밤길을 걸을 때면 별빛을 비쳐주네향도의 밝은 해님 내 희망 펼쳐주니어머니 손잡고 걷는듯 내 마음 즐거워라

바다의 넓이라면 그 사랑 다 담을가하늘의 높이를 내가 알면 그 은덕 내 다 알가향도의 밝은 해님 내 희망 펼쳐주니해돋이 마중 가는듯 내 마음 즐거워라