Chapter 5. Detective Sexy

The early morning sirens echoing around the streets had my eyes opening like my building was on fire

The early morning sirens echoing around the streets had my eyes opening like my building was on fire. I jumped out of bed, swinging my arms around. My blurry eyes focused on the room around me as a sticky note dangled off my forehead.

I ripped the note off, looking at the bright yellow paper with Dieter's messy handwriting. After reading it a few times, I believed it read. "Stay put. I will be back."

"Fuck that," I said, crumping up the sticky note and throwing it across the room, stumbling toward the bathroom.

After a good hour of trying to find clothes that fit my new body, I looked hot for once. With a bright smile, I was doing circles in the mirror, checking myself out. I went from unfuckable to bombshell and dying was the only thing I had sacrificed. With my new black hair and almost white eyes, I was unrecognizable as the girl I used to be.

Scarlett Cline was dead, and now Apple Red would make this city wish she never did. I smiled an evil grin at myself in the mirror, then grabbed my coat from the couch.

As I used the ladder to get my feet on the ground in the alley, the sirens echoed louder. To my nosy bitchy self, I walked toward it. Who doesn't want to know why police officers are around to make or break someone's day?

As my heels echo down the street, I notice about five cop cars, a fire truck, and an ambulance parked. The end of the road sported caution tape, trapping people out. The building above the street cast a shadow on the officers below. I strolled closer to the scene, watching the yellow tape blow around in the wind.

I approached a group of citizens, trying to figure out what was happening. A brown-haired girl caught my attention, my neighbor and Duff's new mommy. I stepped closer, realizing she stood in the worst spot possible as rain from the night before dripped from the rooftop.

Clearing my throat. "Hey, you know what's going on?"

She looked over at me with her green eyes. There was still makeup smeared underneath and her hair in a messy bun. She glanced away, then shyly pulled her coat tighter around her torso. "I'm not sure yet," she replied.

The man next to us perked up, looking at me like a piece of meat. "They found one of the missing girls in the sewer," he said, stepping in front of the girl, ignoring her existence. "It's a scary world out there, beautiful." His eyes roamed around my body. "Did you need me to walk you home?"

I let out a deep breath of frustration, eyeing the wedding ring on his hand. "I don't think your wife at home would appreciate it." I stepped up to him. "Being a perv doesn't get you anywhere."

"Come on, why are you mad?" he replied, making me pinch the bridge of my nose.

"What? Did your hormones shrink to the size of a peanut? So, now you are out here hitting on women because you don't know what else to do?" My comment made him step back, huffing out. I brought my hand in the air, waving him along. "Fuck off."