Sarada's Birthday

Four days later, Boruto was helping clear the breakfast table when Hinata paused to ask him a question. "Boruto, are you going out with your friends today?"

"I wanted to play videogames with Shikadai, but it sounds like they have some sort of special Ino-Shika-Cho training. Why?"

"Well actually... Today is Sarada's birthday. Since she got you a present, I was hoping you'd pick out a present for her as well. Sakura invited us over later tonight for cake."

Sarada's birthday. His was only four days before. How did he not know it was so close to his all this time?

"I guess I can do it. What should I get her?"

Hinata smiled and handed him a coin pouch. "I think you should decide that for yourself. You're friends, right?"

Boruto blinked down at wallet and nodded his head. That being said... What would Sarada like?

He left his house and strolled the streets, thinking of a good present for Sarada. A new videogame? Sarada didn't play videogames. A burger? Sarada didn't seem like the type to eat burgers. Cake? She was going to have that later in the day.

The weapons shop across the street caught his eye. Sarada's smile floated up into his mind, remembering the handing over of his own birthday present. He shook his head, trying to rid his face of the odd fuzzy warmth that crept into his cheeks. Shuriken wasn't a bad gift, but it was weird to give her the same exact thing. Maybe he could find something else in the shop.

When he passed through the entrance, a lady with twin buns on her head greeted him enthusiastically. "If it isn't Boruto! Welcome. What can I get for you? I feel like it's a team seven reunion this week!"

Boruto blinked a few times and tilted his head. His dad was part of team seven with Sarada's parents... So maybe she came here to get his gift as well?

"Um... I'm looking for a weapon. One you throw... Like shuriken but maybe a little different?"

"Hmmm? Are you here to get a present for Sarada-chan?" Tenten hummed with a teasing smile on her face. "Your birthdays are pretty close, aren't they." She sighed. "So grown up already... I wonder how Metal is doing? Lee hardly ever comes by to let me see him," she mumbled, expression darkening into a pout.

"Metal?"

"Ah, it's nothing! Something like shuriken, huh? Maybe you should get her a kunai! I don't think she has any yet. It's like a shuriken, but a little bit easier to handle. Not as diverse, but you can use it for close range fights and throwing! Although, if you get a kunai, you'll probably want a leg strap to go with it..."

Boruto blinked a few times at the lady's explanation. She seemed excited about weapons... So excited it was borderline scary. But from the sound of it, a kunai seemed like a good gift. "Can I see one?"

Tenten let him over to a wall that was lined with handled dagger-like objects. He had seen these before... But did Sarada have them? He wasn't sure.

"There are decorative types with interesting handles, your normal generic kunai, double sided kunai, curved kunai... Ah, here I go rambling on again. Why don't you just pick one that looks good to you?"

Boruto eyed the wall. If he got her something special... He would get teased. Getting her a regular kunai was probably the best option, but it didn't really feel special. Then again, she got him regular shuriken... But that was because he didn't have any before. What if she had these already? Should he pick a different shaped one that was rarer? Or would that be harder to use?

He rubbed the sides of his head. "Ugh, I don't know what I should pick!"

Tenten smiled and pulled a few generic kunai off the shelf. "Why don't you start with these? I'll throw in an extra leg strap as a bonus... Then you can be matching!"