Chapter 5: Bloodbath

The Next Day...

Effie woke Katniss up bright and early. She got into her arena outfit. It was similar to her training outfit, but it came with a jacket and was slightly heavier. Soon, she was taken to the hovercraft. There, Katniss could see everyone. Trackers were inserted into their arms. They were all then put into small rooms with a small couch and refreshments. Katniss ate and drank as much food and water as she could to withstand the conditions. Soon, she was taken to the Launch Room,where she met Cinna, her stylist. Soon, her buzzer went off. Katniss' eyes widened with pure fear.

"I know I'm not be allowed to bet," he said, "but I would love to be on you."

"Thanks." Katniss said, hugging her stylist as her fear partly faded away.

She then walked to her launchpad and the tube closed behind her. She was stuck. This was it, the moment of it all. Game on. She thought. The sun was blinding. Katniss nearly slipped her foot, almost falling off the launch pad, but thankfully, she caught herself. The Cornucopia was about 50 ft from her. 100 yards away was a clearing with a lake. Behind her were the woods. Behind the Cornucopia was a grassland-like clearing. She couldn't find her bow. She instantly realized that the Gamemakers did this on purpose, so she could stick around. She found Gale to be about 10 plates from her. The timer then hit zero. Katniss ran like a cheetah for a backpack. She then found Gale running for the weapons. She then grabbed a water jug. A knife struck her backpack.

"Move!" Gale shouted, grabbing her by her shoulder.

There was no doubt that Clove from District 2 threw the knife. It didn't take long for the two to make it to the tree line. But they wouldn't stop running. They wouldn't stop until they literally couldn't run anymore. Katniss then tripped onto a branch and tumbled down a small hill.

"Katnip!" Gale let out as he ran down, "You good?"

"I-I think so..." Katniss said, gripping her shoulder, "...I-I think I nearly b-broke my s-s-shoulder. "I-I'm fine...m-maybe we should s-stop?"

"If you can at least walk, then we keep going."

"O-okay...."

It hurts just to stand up. Gale wrapped an arm around Katniss. They made it about another 30 yards when they finally collapsed in exhaustion once hearing eleven cannon shots. 11 shots. 11 dead, and 13 still in the game. Gale then looked at Katniss, who still struggled not to touch her arm.

"Here," he said, "let's fix you up."

"A-alright." replied Katniss, with a worried look on her face.

Gale removed Katniss' jacket from her. Her hand jerked away once she suddenly felt the pressure being far too much.

"Sorry." he said.

Gale grabbed Katniss' arm. He could tell that she was getting very nervous.

"Okay. On three." he started, "1...2...3!"

A dull snap sounded in the air. Katniss screamed in pain. Tears fell from her face. Gale pulled her into his arms. She cried into his chest. Gale was finally able to calm her down.

"Let's check our gear." Gale suggested at one point.

"Y-yeah." said Katniss.

She took in one more deep breath before checking her gear. Her backpack had a pack of crackers, a pack of dried beef strips, a bottle of iodine, a box of wooden matches, a small amount of coiled wire, an empty half gallon water bottle, a black sleeping bag, and a pocket. Gale was able to bring a spear and his own backpack. It had a bit of rope, a lighter, bandages, a couple packs of fruit, and a blanket. They decided that they had enough stuff, only thing changed was Katniss hanging Gale the water jug and half of her coiled wire. The two continued until nightfall. Once it was dusk, they both knew they had to stop.

"There." Gale said, pointing up at a tall willow, "We can sleep up there."

They climbed about 30 ft up before Gale's weight became too much, forcing them to stop. Soon, they saw "The Fallen''. 11 names appeared. None of them were Careers. Gale was in the branch below Katniss. The temperature was dropping quickly. Katniss then saw Gale, shivering in his blanket.

"Gale, get up here." Katniss said.

"Wh-what?" Gale asked, looking up at her, startled.

"You're not gonna freeze while I'm in this sleeping bag. We'll be squeezed together, but we'll fit. Get up here."

Katniss climbed out of her sleeping bag as Gale jumped to her branch. She told him to hurry up, for it was freezing. Gale told her to tell him about it. His cold skin shocked her once they both got into the sleeping bag.

"Wow..." Katniss said as Gale's body began to relax and stop shaking, "...they're really screwing with the temperature here."

Gale yanks Katniss in close. Saying that she's so warm through his chattering teeth. Katniss began to feel herself drifting to sleep as she suddenly felt Paul move a bit closer to her. She fell asleep in his arms.

The Next Day...

Gale woke up to see Katniss in his arms. In a way, ever since they started to compliment each other, Gale could slowly begin to feel strange towards her. He then started to think as he saw her beginning to yawn. For a moment before they'd have to fight for their lives, this was his paradise. Lying in the woods, up in a tree, with a girl asleep in his arms.  He had wondered what the whole Capitol's been thinking now.  "The Star-Crossed Lovers are friends in the end!" they'd probably say.

"Morning, Katnip." Gale whispered once he found her awake.

"Morning." Katniss replied.

The two got out of the sleeping bag and packed their stuff. Each one had one of Katniss's beef strips. It was enough to keep them going, but not when they're hungry. They were going to need a source of water, however, none of them knew a source. Katniss asked if this meant they were stuck.

"Not really." Gale answered, "I personally think we should head back to the Cornucopia. We can gather supplies and a few more weapons. There's also a lake."

Katniss then pointed out that the Careers have obviously claimed that area, but they both knew that. However, the Cornucopia was their current best option. Gale would stand guard since he has a spear while Katniss searches for materials, and a bow. They started back to the area. Took a few hours since they weren't as full of energy. They both stopped at the edge of the clearing. No Careers or even their camps were spotted. Which led the two to assume they were busy on their initial hunt.

"They'll be here soon." Katniss said.

"Now!" Gale sshouted.

Katniss immediately ran for the area. She grabbed a game bag, bottle of ibuprofen, two skinning knives, and a light tarp. However, there was no sign of a bow.

"Hurry up, Cass," Gale said over his shoulder, "They'll be back soon."

"I know." Cassie snapped, "I'm trying to find a-found it!" Katniss lifted a bow and a full quiver.

"I got it Ga-" she said.

But she found a spear fly past her leg, cutting it slightly.

________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for Reading!

To be honest, when I saw Katniss falling down that hill sometime at the beginning of the 74th Hunger Games, it looked like she could've broken or dislocated her shoulder. And since Gale was in the picture, I thought I'd have her dislocate it.