Chapter 1

Althea
As I am standing on the edge of the building as the wind danced through the city,knowing one gust could sweep me over the edge, I have never felt calmer something about death has always seemed peaceful to me. Emptiness. Just a black void. Some people can't seem to understand that after death there's nothing, the world just Carrie's on spinning not mourning your absence, unless you've left an imprint but even then your lucky if anyone's going to remember you in a few years, in my 17 years of life I've seen people die in ways you can't even imagine and they don't even look in pain, so I know Somewhere in this unhinged world peace can be found, even if we have to die to find it. I am not suicidal but if the wind flew through the city, I would biy try to save myself from falling kneo ugh it would be the end because to be completely honest there is not a reason to stay.

After the wars and the new laws, the lucky people man edge to flee to more rural areas weather the rest were killed or trapper in the city leaving behind a somewhat form of a ghost town. After the old government was overthrown the new laws were appointed which led to the remaining public to go on strike about voicing their concerns and hatred toward them, we soon found out that wasn't a good idea . Nobody came forward and spoke up after that, they tried to stay in their homes as much as they could and only go out when necessary. The new government got what they wanted. Power.

The building I am stood on was the first abandoned one , with over 50 floors you can't hear much, it's peaceful. I come up here most nights to watch the stars blanket the night sky as they glisten, it's weird to think that someone right now could be looking at the same exact star but be generally happy ,wherever they may be.lucky them, I guess. I sometimes wonder if I jumped right now what would happen , who would care? I wonder if people would walk past my body and feel their heart drop, they would say things like 'she was so young' or they would wounded how long till one of the soldiers find me and how long it would take yo clean up, if it would be there for a couple of days, hours, weeks. Nobody would be devastated or destroyed at the fact I jumped of a ducking building because I couldn't see a way out of this corrupt society, I have no family to hold a funeral or to bury their daughter . I have nobody: people say they don't care until your dead , but that can't be true if there is nobody to care for you when your alive so no, nobody would care and nobody would have sympathy for the girl who threw herself of a building because deep down, they all want to do it.

I would say everyone stays looking the same as they always do in some ressemblance , but I would be lying, when I was younger I was always told the eyes never lie and I believe that now more than ever because when you look into the eyes of passing strangers there is nothing. Fucking nothing. All hope and joy has been starved form this society leaving nothing but detestation and hatred. You don't get a smile when you walk past people anymore, you don't get a wave or a nice polite head nod.nothing. The best you would get is a longing look of help. The world ur nit the same anymore and people have finally accepted it, accepted the fact we must follow the new rules and if we don't, we die. It's simple. follow or die.

Well, the thing is if you already want to die you might as well put that to beneficial use, so as I am sat on the edge of the apartment building, gazing up to the stars my mind was made. I'm going to start a rebellion. This might seem like a terrible idea but coming from someone who is so burnt out form living in fear in what my next step will be and my consequences, I'm more than ready. I don't want the next generation growing up in a world where your future is set for you, where your voice doesn't even have a day. My mind was set, the rebellion is happening and there's nothing that can change my mind, all u need to do joe us get the people on my side. See the hope wash back into their eyes.

Walking back home I keep my head down , staring at the dirt like my life depends in it, I don't want these monsters seeing something they haven't seen in a long time, something they would kill to stop. Hope. I can't let them see it because if they go they will know that somethings going to happen and if they stop me Before i even have a thought out plan then it's all going to shit. Before the world changed I was like any other seventeen year old girl attending collage on the weekdays while having friends over on the weekdays, sitting down to watch romcoms while complaining about how we would never find that kind of love. Family days out tit he beach as my skin socked up the sun, movie nights in e-bike were huddled up on the sofa, empty take out boxes spread out. I fient if us, but slowly it all started to disappear leaving only me left

Before this place got fucked up my mum died of cancer, and in a way I think it was gods way of saving her because if cancer didn't kill her this sure would of, she was too sweet to witness what this place has become she was a free soul, her freedoms being taken away would have been the worst thing for her so I'm glad she was taken when she was. My dad and me were close when my mum was around , she was the love of his life . He would always tell me how they fell in love in school and he hasn't looked back since, saying it was the best thing that ever happened to him, apart from me obviously .

After she died it hit him hard , he was distant, an old shell of himself. He couldn't take it anymore and overdosed a few months later just as the government was being overthrown. He left me a note saying he saying he loves me but there will always be an emptiness in his heart without mum, that he can't And won't live without her by his side . At first I hated him for leaving me alone in the cruel world , being chucked from house to house looking for a 'forever home' after the tragedy I went through,but obviously that didn't happen and I went unnoticed because people had bigger issues to worry about than an orphan.

I forgave him over time because I like to imagine him and mum having the time of their life's living up their, smiling to their hearts content, downing the time that got stolen away from them because hey, at least some fo use should be happy. Most of my friend move away with their families while the old laws were being overthrown , some moved to the countryside others move to cities trying to see if it was any different there. A few even stayed here but we didn't keep in contact, and I guess your wondering why , so let me explain