Chapter 11

Violet

B demanded I stay home from the bakery today. Since I attended in person nursing school yesterday she claims that she's sure I'm exhausted.

I grab the small red bouncy ball throwing it at the floor again, letting it hit the wall then roll back to me. I through it again, this time getting distracted by the buzz of the phone. The ball rolls under the table making me scoff.

Aless: you awake?

I smile down at my phone, feeling my heart flutter as I respond.

Yup Brie banned me from working today. And I have horrible heartburn.

Aless: do you need anything?

Ice cream

Aless: have you eaten breakfast?

Um. No. Surprise me?

Aless: I'll be over in a bit amore.

I grin down at my phone, no longer being upset about the ball that rolled away. I grab the top of the couch for support as I stand from the floor.

I hop onto the couch, scrolling through my phone till I hear the familiar pattern of knocks from Alessandro.

I dash from the couch, flinging open the door, jumping into his arms. "I missed you."

"I saw you yesterday." He chuckles making me pull away, frowning, "You didn't miss me."

His face drops, "no- I did miss you, amore. Look I brought your ice cream and breakfast."

I smile as the a sweet smell fills the apartment. He walks with me clinging to him. He sets me along with the bags on the counter. "You got vanilla?" I ask peering into the bag of ice cream, curiously. I grin when I see the white ice cream.

"Look in the other bag." He murmurs, nodding towards the white paper bag.

I grab the bag sending him a weary look. I open the white bag hearing the crinkles. My face brightens at the familiar pastries.

Maritozzi.

A maritozzo is a popular Italian breakfast, it consists of sweet buns that are sliced in half, then stuffed with whipped cream. Powdered sugar decorates the top making my mouth water.

"I wish I had strawberries." I whisper in a daze at the perfect pastry. Back in high school Alessandro's would buy me these every morning. He brought them to me with a fresh basket of strawberries for me to put on the whipped cream.

"Look in the bag." He tells me. I eye the bag excitedly. I nearly let out a squeal when I see the basket of strawberries. They're even pre-cut for me.

I happily place three strawberries onto the whipped cream, taking a bite out of the bread. My eyes flutter close at the sweet creamy taste.

"You have a little something..," I open my eyes seeing Alessandro's hand reach out to wipe the edge of my mouth. He brings it back to himself, sucking the whipped cream off his finger.

I feel my own pupils dilate. He chuckle, taking one of the maritozzi for himself.

We clear up the kitchen, after eating. Alessandro frowns down at his phone. "Amore, I'm needed at work."

"Right now?" I frown, mirroring his face. "Unfortunately." He mutters. He walks up to me, gripping my hips. "I'll be back later ok?"

"Kiss?" I pout. His eyes flicker down to my lips, his own pupils dilate as he leans down.