Chapter Six - The Trials

AFTER WE'VE BEEN traveling for quite some time, the sun is about to set, so we find a nearby subway, and go down into it.

"Now, hold on, now," I say, forcibly stopping everyone in their tracks. "Doesn't anyone think it's strange that we find a subway in the middle of a forest? Don't y'all think that this might be a setup?"

"C'mon, Gabrielle, I know subways. I was born in Omaha, remember? What's the worst that can happen?" My cousin links her arm through mine and pulls me down the steps.

I really don't want to answer that question, because I just know that something horrible is going to happen down there.

"Besides, it's not like it's a real forest, anyway, Baby," the Scarecrow says, linking his arm through my free one, "it's really just a few trees here and there around the yellow brick road, so you've got nothin' to be afraid of."

"Yeah, darlin'," the Tinman says, chucking me under my chin and winking at me, "I'll protect you from anything that wishes you harm."

I sigh, but keep my mouth shut for now.

"Ah," the Lion sighs, "my ma would be so proud. Going to see the Wiz!" We all laugh and he starts fluffing up his mane. "My mama used to always say to me: 'Fleet!'"

"Fleet?" The rest of us ask, shocked.

The Lion sniffs, picks up his tail, and slaps it gently against his palm a couple times, before pointing it at each one of us. "That's my name: Fleetwood Coupe de Ville."

The Scarecrow snorts, and I have to bite my lip to keep from cracking up.

"Mama had high ideals." The Lion says defensively.

"Yeah!" The Tinman says.

"Y'know what I mean?"

"Yeah!" The Tinman and the Lion high-five, and I can't hold in my laugh anymore.

Then, I hear footsteps. I whirl around, crouching down into a fighting stance, before I see that it's just the strange peddler from earlier today. I stand up straight, and just stare at him. He's silent, staring back at us.

"I ain't too happy underground, y'all," the Lion whimpers.

Two tiny little figurines hanging off the side of the peddlers' box lower themselves to the ground, and start shaking violently.

"How does he do that?" The Scarecrow asks quietly.

"It's just a hoax, my friend, he's got a little motor in his . . . pocket." The Tinman tries to sound reassuring as he says this, but fails spectacularly.

But the little figurines grow steadily larger, and by the time they reach the peddlers' knees, I'm running. I leave my group behind, my mind blank with terror. After I reach ground level and take a deep breath of fresh air, I realize that I abandoned my friends.

"Ah, crap!" I hiss, running back underground.

I try to retrace my steps, but within seconds, I am hopelessly lost. I run around for a few minutes, calling for my friends, but I get no response.

"Oh, sweetheart, there you are!" I hear a voice call.

"Mama?" I call out.

"Ooh, child, I thought I lost you, don't you ever do that again, you hear me?"

"Mama, I'm right here!" I scream.

"Yes, Aunt Em," I hear another voice I recognize as my cousins'.

I freeze.