Icarus

A/N: second to last chapter y'all!!!

he flew too close to the sun; fell in the sea and drowned

"Melissa? Are you awake?"

Aquila's voice came before his light knocks, knuckles brushing the wood. The door creaked open ever so slightly. Our eyes met across the distance, and he nodded in understanding. 

It was a bright day. The sun cut our eyes from a frosty sky. Our SUV drove through the rough landscape, barely making a sound. Aquila was next to me, and I could feel his thoughts probing around at the edge of my consciousness. They were anxious, but in a quiet way; they were frightened, but brave, resolved. 

"You okay?" I asked, turning from the window to look at him. 

His smile was tight. I could've sworn his face was paler than usual, Varkolak or not. "I miss Karen," he said.

I tried to make my voice reassuring. "You'll see her soon."

Whatever he said — something that sounded agreeing, reassured — was drowned out by the thoughts he tried to keep from me. What if I don't? What will she do? What about our child?

I cleared my throat and looked away, hoping he hadn't seen the knowledge in my eyes. People kept their secrets for a reason, and I had no right to look into his mind.

The sound of something heavy landing on the seat between us brought my attention back. A pistol lay there; it was silver with a black handle, a lot slimmer than I was used to. I picked it up, weighed it in both my hands. 

"It's a .500 S&W.," Aquila explained. "It was designed for hunting in North America. If you aim well, and I know you can, then it should have no issue taking down a few Varkolak."

I turned it around; the weight of it was different from the semi-automatic I had used in practice. "In case you lose," I said. 

"In case they find you."

My eyes flashed up to his. It's a possibility, I realized, for the first time. They might lose. Serena might die. And where would I be, then? What chance did I stand? All air seemed to leave the car. I filled my lungs, but I seemed to have forgotten how to breathe. I felt sick, the walls felt close, closed, my head ached, and I felt the stench of sweat begin to emerge.

"I need..." My fingers tripped in their search for the button to open the window. "I nee—."

Aquila reached over me, his hands pushed mine away, and then there was a breeze hitting my face, fresh air. I gulped for air, so desperate I almost put my head out of the window. 

"She okay?" the driver asked. The Varkolak in the front passenger seat was watching me in the mirror. 

"Yeah," I breathed. 

"It's here," Aquila said. 

The car pulled to the side, out of the caravan of cars heading over the hill. We were at the top now; there were no trees, no snow, just dry bushes and dark stone. Beneath us, the ground descended into a moss-green valley. It was like a bowl, with hills almost tall enough to be mountains rising all around. On the other side, the mountains truly did rise into mountains. I could see scattered evergreens growing into lush forests, there, behind the scene of the battle. 

We stepped out of the car, Aquila and me. When I heard it set off again, tires cracking over loose stone, I felt my heart tug. Aquila put his hand on my shoulder, tugging softly.