So long, Summer...

Charities call for help in light of 'grim winter' news

British summer weather is famed for being unpredictable, and this year has been no different. After an exceptionally wet June, the United Kingdom experienced a record-breaking heatwave throughout July and August. Now the Met Office has released information suggesting that the current dry spell will change rapidly over the coming days and weeks.

According to meteorologists, the west coast of Ireland and parts of Wales are already seeing signs of the onset of an early winter, as areas of low pressure move in from the Atlantic. Across the British Isles temperatures are set to drop considerably over the coming weeks, with further suggestions that some parts may see snow as early as October.

While this news may be good for both our depleted reservoirs and the nation's farmers, it certainly won't be welcomed by the homeless. In many major cities across the UK, charities are making extra preparations to assist the people living on the streets. 

A spokesperson from Shelter,  told The Standard, "The number of people sleeping rough in the UK is at an all time high. A growing trend in this demographic, is the number of vulnerable young people under thirty who have found themselves without a place to live and sleep. 

"The reports of a harsh early winter are exceptionally worrying for many volunteers involved in helping to keep people warm and safe on the streets at night. Space in the few remaining night shelters is minimal, and the food banks and soup kitchens are struggling to cater for the growing numbers of homeless people. 

"We implore our politicians to revisit ways that the government can make positive changes to help the homeless. Without any funded plans in place, we can only fear for the numerous lives that could be lost on the streets of a first-world country this winter.

"The social housing sector needs to see a complete overhaul, and the time to begin is now - not tomorrow. For some of these people, there may be no tomorrow."

Tuesday 1st September 2022, The London Evening Standard