Author's Note

Since I started working on The Brightlings, I have learned a lot more than I ever thought I would about plotting and story arcs. Not least, because when I first started writing The Brightlings, I didn't really have a fixed plot in place at all. 

Now that my brain has applied everything that I already know about film theory to the craft of plotting a written story and breaking it down into chapters, I'm forever welding disparate ideas together and wondering if they can make an interesting read. Car crashing an idea for a character into a genre and a setting, and trying to pick out diamonds from the wreckage. This is how the concept of Toy came to life.

I have the whole story outline in place from start to end, and let's just say, it's a very different prospect from The Brightlings. Although still pitched at Young Adult/ New Adult readers, it's a lot darker and straddles the thriller/mystery/horror genres, with themes of murder and revenge dancing tango with the usual subtle humour.

I hope to get a chapter or two up in-between writing The Brightlings, if only to allow myself a creative break from working on that story. But again, like my first story, this will take some time to appear.

Anyhow, I look forward to sharing the story of Callie, or Ghost One as she is otherwise known, with you all sometime soon.

Cheers,

Ric

Note: This story is entirely my own, and I reserve the right to remove it from this platform and publish elsewhere if I choose to do so. 

#1 in spraypaint