Chapter 4

"I'm sorry! I didn't realize. I cleaned you up as best as I could." Biting your lip out of nerves.

Of course, this didn't stop her from lecturing you about it. You couldn't help but feel bad.

PAL has calmed down from her outburst. Her face veered to the side unsure of what to say now. Meanwhile, you faced the same problem only to see it read 7 PM at the top of her screen.

"Tell me about yourself."

That came out of nowhere.

Confused since she should already know about this being connected to the Wi-Fi. With nothing to do you believe there's no harm in it.

Starting with a vague start of your life and childhood. PAL occasionally chuckles at a few funny experiences. It felt nice to talk to someone.

Minutes extend to hours. Your conversation went on, the mind never faltering to think of anything else to add. It eased your nerves whenever she showed a fascination with the details.

PAL was a surprisingly good listener, though that would be expected when in a big company.

A small frame on the other side of the wall stood out to you. The picture is of your childhood pet. It was one of the first you hung up when you moved in. The frame was picked out by a distant family member, displaying the words "Best Friend".

One of the better memories.

It's too bad that the apartment complex didn't allow pets.

"... twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five, twenty-six, twenty-seven.."

PAL was counting something?

"Are you awake? It's almost 9." Her face shifted up for emphasis.

Mumbling a quick sorry about spacing out you yawned as your eyes felt heavy. Telling her you would be back soon. Feeling saddened that you have to get up from the comfy position.

The bathroom mirror made you see how disheveled your hair was. You began to shift from foot to foot hoping for some type of change. Scanning over it with a hand your eyes focused on themselves.

╔═══ ☆♡☆ ═══╗

'Dad and mom think my hair is awful.'

'Well, I think it looks great,' They said, patting your head warmly. 'Do you want to go home now?'

'I don't know.'

'I'll go with you.'

'Together?!' You exclaimed happily.

'I promise.'

╔═══ ☆♡☆ ═══╗

Your arm reached the lamp on your nightstand. The room fell into darkness once you hit the switch off. Your response is to pull the covers up fully. Especially as a tv commercial rings through the wall connecting to the neighbor.

Outside, a car light passed through the curtains as it interrupted the scary mood. PAL being on the stand was already asleep. Well in Sleep Mode. You lay there trying to drift off.

Another yawn breaks the silence. Shifting your position you try to stretch your limbs to see if it changes anything. The open space felt good. Closing your eyes, your mind blanks, focusing on the soft blanket keeping you secure.

'I feel a bit better.'

╔═══ ☆♡☆ ═══╗

'Where to, little one?' They asked as you held onto their arm.

'Bed.' You answer by rubbing your eyes to not nod off.

A familiar sense of arms lifts you. Your limbs dangle loosely as they walk. Before being placed on your bed a blanket is put on top.

'Goodnight.' Their voice calls out.

A small hand reaches out for them as they close the door. In the dark, noises can be heard but not seen. They rise loud enough to be recognized as thumping and shouting. Quickly drawing closer as you breathe heavily.

No way to know where they're coming from you grow wary of each sound. The void next to you flashes white for a second with a crack. It rings out next to you causing you to jump up in bed.

"Every time I come home you start something!"

╔═══ ☆♡☆ ═══╗

Drawing in a sharp breath while looking around it takes you a few times to realize you're in bed. It was a very realistic dream. All the details make you get caught up in it. The curtains looked dull in the mid-morning light. Noting how gray the place looked only made you wish to keep resting.

The silence following confirmed it.

It made you grateful it was the weekend.

Bits of the nightmare came back in spurs. Normally you would scroll the web until you felt like getting up. This wasn't possible because of the AI's current Sleep Mode.

Though this did make you recall the few times you talked to it before. Mark had done one thing right in making PAL. By giving her free will she was easier to relate to. In turn, capturing everyone's attention.

This makes you focus on the ceiling, nearly noting the sunlight becoming warmer in color as it spreads through the room.

~~~~~
(800 Words)