Not quite a lady

Now

"Jeni, come out."

Hope surged my veins. He did not leave. I bit my cheeks. I cannot reply him. If I did, all my efforts in keeping my head high would be wasted.

"Jeni," he growled and banged on the door. The vibrations reverberated down my spine.

"Go away," I wept, "Leave me alone, please."

"I tried that one and it did not work well at all. Come back."

"Why?" I screamed, facing the door as if he can see me, "Why would I come with you?"

His answer stopped my heart.

*

THEN

The laughter in the bus was minimal. His question must have been oft repeated for most people simply ignored it. But one person laughed loud enough that Karthick's attention turned to her.

Lallu had her hand covering her mouth as her eyes streamed with laughter.

Karthick's lips twitched. "Who are you, sweetie-pie?"

Lallu turned a pretty pink. I looked away. I realized that what had happened the entire day yesterday was all my conjecture. I had thought he looked interested in me. I did not pause to think why someone like him would be interested in someone like me.

"I am Lalitha," she smiled, putting on her prettiest smile.

"Do you know who this is?" he asked, pointing at me.

Her gaze drifted past Karthick and landed on me. I did not know what she was going to tell. But just as she opened her mouth to say something, he interrupted.

"Oops, sorry. Queens do not mix with peasants."

I sighed, relieved that he did not make a much worse comparison.

"Sometimes, when situations demand, they have to."

I chose not to listen to them after that.

Nearly twenty minutes later, I entered my classroom. M and L were already there. I was not in the mood to chit-chat so I quietly slid beside M and dumped my bag beside me. With a sigh, I cushioned my head on my arms and leant over the desk.

"Who is this depressed duck?" L wanted to know.

I raised my hand like I was giving an attendance.

M poked me but I merely groaned at the pressure. She was poking at a bruise on my back.

"What's wrong?"

I did not know I was dying to share until I was faced with the option. I turned my head to look at them. M was grinning at me, her eyes dancing with mirth.

"What?" I droned.

"Your head.. You look like someone inflated your head."

I frowned while looking at her amused face.

"It hurts, you know."

"All the more funnier," L said, poking my ball.

"Hey," I whined, as the poke turned in to a throb.

"So what did you do to yourself," M asked, raising her finger to poke me.

I quickly turned my head in to the safety of my arms.

"I slipped and hit my head on the table. It hurts like hell."

"Oh you poor baby," M cooed and I felt mollified until they both burst in to laughter.