Day 2.2 | cole

The surname Adams rings like a carillon inside my head

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

The surname Adams rings like a carillon inside my head. I blink at the man standing before me, my heart abuzz. He has her face, her smile, her eyes. This young police officer even has her go-getter energy.

But I'm pretty sure Peewee was an only child, just like me. Not only that, she would've mentioned a sibling who just so happened to be a police officer. Who the fuck is this?

"Do you know this guy, Devyn?" Mark asks, stroking his light beard with fatherly concern. When I don't answer, he adds, "Just say the word and I'll possess this freak to get him away from you."

"He's really cute, though," Teegan comments. "Maybe I should do it."

"I don't trust him," Rosario utters, crossing her arms. "He looks way too excited to meet our angelita de luz."

Wearily, and with my own theories racing through my head, I stick my palm out to meet his. His skin is warm to the touch. Soft and inviting. And I can't help notice the growing smile on his face.

"Do I...uh, know you?" I ask.

He chuckles. "Sorry, I probably should've led with: I'm not a creepy stalker. That would contradict the badge." He runs his hand through sun-kissed strands and I take note of how firm his handshake is. "I'm Penelope's cousin."

My mouth parts. "Oh."

"I just transferred here from Texas. Decided it would be best to move closer to family during this time."

I nod with awe.

"Anyway," he continues, "my aunt and uncle speak highly of you, as well as some of the other officers in my department, and I thought it would be the right thing to formally introduce myself to the girl who single-handedly caught my cousin's murderer."

I chuckle nervously. "Oh, I wouldn't say single-handedly. But thank you. I was happy to help."

"I've actually been hoping to run into you. My team says you drop in often."

"From time to time. I run a blog online." A total lie. "People send me tips and witness information. They trust me." Yes, all lies, but how else do I explain to the police that I know things no one else should?

Cole smiles, impressed. For some reason warmth blooms on my cheeks. "Is that why you're here now?"

"Yeah, I have some information on a woman named Maureen Philips."

"Hm, she doesn't ring a bell, but I'm still new here. Why don't I interview you at my desk and pull up her file."

My eyebrows go up. I gesture to the busy lobby. "You sure I don't gotta wait?"

"Wait? You think I'm going to make the girl who solved my cousin's murder wait?" Cole waves me off, reminding me of Peewee. "No, Devyn Brooks gets a skip-the-line pass for the rest of her life. Follow me."