Hello

"Ugh." I said exhausted. Once again, my mother is out somewhere, probably getting drunk, high, or both. And she left me home to take care of her kids. For me to only be 15, I feel like the only adult in this house. My mother doesn't take responsibility for her actions and the consequences. Also known as us, my two brothers, my sister and I.

It's past 12:00am and I'm just now going to bed. My siblings are extremely hard headed. It took me hours to get them to sleep and finish my chores. I knew it wasn't going to take that long for me to fall asleep. I was exhausted and I had to get up for school in 6 hours.

***

"Crap." I said as I looked at my clock. I had overslept. My earphones lied sprawled in my bed, the other end, buried in my phone.

I got up, ran to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and took a quick shower. While I was in the shower, I realized that I had forgotten to check and see if my mother was home. I got out, threw on a blue robe, and went to her room. A wave of relief washed over me as I peeked into the dark, undisturbed room. She wasn't there, so I had to stay home and get the younger kids ready for school.

They get up about half a hour after me, but instead of going back to sleep, I wanted to make sure they had something to eat. I descended the stairs and entered our small kitchen. When I walked into the it, I sighed. There was food everywhere, the sink was piled with grimy dishes, and all the surfaces covered with glass and... water? I didn't really have time to clean it immediately, so I went to the refrigerator to find some milk. I opened it, and nothing. It was empty, besides the leftovers from last night. She must have come home drunk, junked the place, and left again. It wouldn't be the first time.

I heard the front door open, hitting the wall beside. It was my mother and of course, another man. I could hear her heels striding through the living room, along with his heavy steps.

"Delilah!" She called.

"I'm in the Kitchen," I answered. When I turned around, my mom was standing in the doorway. She was wearing black leggings with, black heels, and a blue and black top showing her cleavage. The top of her long, dark brown hair was tied back with a clip, and the rest was flowing down her back. Her face was drowned in make up, making her look almost plastic. Her expression didn't change as she surveyed the kitchen.

A man, a bit taller than her came up behind her. He just had on a white tee, showing off his chestnut colored muscles, and some blue jeans. He had a strong jaw, light brown eyes, and short, curly black hair. He looked to be in his late 20's and didn't seem bothered by the scene either.

"This is Andre," she told me. I looked up at him. He was a little over 6 feet.

"Hi," I said.

"Andre, this is my oldest daughter, Delilah," Andre looked down at me, but he wasn't looking at my face, his eyes were fixed on something a bit lower. I looked down, realizing my my robe was still on. I tightened the belt, embarrassed that he'd seen me like this. He smiled and looked away, but my mom didn't seem to notice.

"Hi," he said, smirking. I turned my attention back to my mother.

"Mom, there is nothing to eat," I complained. I didn't even point out the mess.

"About that, I need you go to the store for me. A bunch of friends and I came home early, and... well you see." I frowned.

"But the kids will be up soon, what do you want me them to eat?" I asked. She thought for a second.

"Give them the leftovers. And if they complain, send them to school hungry." She answered. Although it was a bit neglectful, I didn't say anything. I was too tired to argue with her.