Tease

June 30, 20XX

Mr. Chankimha calls early in the morning to tell us they will have a small gathering, and we are invited. Richie asks our father if he can visit Saint first, but dad refuses.

"You know Saint?" I ask.

"I met her sister in England. She's the one who told me how to go here," Richie explains.

I turn to my father, and he shrugs. I don't know that Saint's sister is in England. Freen didn't mention it either. It doesn't matter; I don't know her.

Richie and I enter Chankimha's mansion together. Freen is sitting beside her mother, facing Richie. They smile at each other and forget to greet me.

What's wrong with her? Is she mad because I didn't bring her home yesterday?

"You have a good-looking son," Mr. Chankimha compliments my brother, and Richie smiles shyly. "And I have a gorgeous daughter. What does it mean?"

My smile faded when he said those words.

"They can be friends." I interfere.

They all look at me, but I only look at Freen, who's refraining from her smile.

"Freen is single, and so is Richie. They can date," Dad suggests, making my blood boil.

"I made a promise to Becca, Dad. I won't have a girlfriend until she graduates." Richie smiles at me sweetly and pinches my nose.

"We can wait until she graduates," Mrs. Chankimha suggests.

They all agree, except for the two. Freen doesn't like boys, but she can't tell her parents. Richie thinks that he might hurt me if he gets a girlfriend soon. I don't know how to react, so I excuse myself.

There is only one place I can go here–the garden. It gives a relaxing atmosphere that might help ease the pain I'm feeling now.

I don't know why I'm acting this way. It's only been a week since we met, but I hate seeing her with others. I can't bear seeing her being teased, especially with my brother. Richie is innocent; he doesn't know my relationship with Freen. He doesn't know what I feel for her because I am also confused.

I sit down on my favorite bench and bite my lower lip. I sigh before closing my eyes and leaning comfortably on the bench.

"Becca," Richie calls my name, so I turn to him. He walks in my direction and sits beside me. "I'm sorry. Don't worry; I will never pursue Freen until you graduate."

"So you're planning to date her?" I ask sadly.

"She's one-of-a-kind. I wouldn't say I don't like her," he answers. He caresses my hair and smiles at me. "Don't worry. Even if I date her, you're still my baby."

That's not the case. I stand up and am about to leave the garden when I see Freen standing on the pathway. She's looking at me with those expressive eyes.

"Are you here to fetch my brother?" I ask.

"My father asks me to fetch him." She fakes a smile, and I nod.

I turn to Richie and motion for him to go.

"Let's go back together." Richie holds my hand, but I shake my head. I grab my hand from him and smile.

"I'm going home. I'm not feeling well," I inform him.

I walk past them and ignore them. Freen follows me until I reach their front door. She opens the door for me and keeps her pace.

"You should go back," I tell her. "They must be waiting for you." I look at her.

"I told them I'll accompany you." She looks at the ground and plays with her fingers nervously. "I'm sorry."

My eyebrows lift. "Why are you apologizing?"

"Because you're upset." She licks her lips. "I don't know why you're upset, and I think I'm the reason."

I want to smile, but I can let my guard off. I want to tell her she didn't do anything since it's our parent's idea. How can she be this cute? Damn it.

I let out a soft sigh before looking intently into her eyes. I reach for her hands and lift her chin. Her eyes are downcast.

"Go back; I can handle myself." Those are my final words before turning my back. I am about to walk away when she wraps her hands on my waist from behind.

"Can I go with you?" she asks.

"Don't be stubborn. Your family invites you to talk to Richie. You have to form a bond with him. I need some rest." I remove her hands and walk away.

A tear escapes from my eyes, so I wipe it immediately. The thought of giving her to others hurt me, but the fact that I'm only a friend hurts more. I shouldn't feel this way, but I can't help. Maybe this is only an infatuation; this will fade soon.