Chapter 14 - Returning to the Fight

O'Neill hears the faint sound of the stargate being activated. He knows that the wounded pilots will be taken back to Earth where they will receive medical care. Unsurprisingly, the injuries that Teal'c had suffered, though probably severe, were almost healed by the time his aircraft had made its rough landing on the sand near the gate. Fortunately, all of the planes had landed safely, the U17Cs on the riverbed near the gate, the O-2s on the meadow runway.

Unfortunately, Earth doesn't have enough replacement pilots who have sufficient security clearance. This means that O'Neill, who has just enough flight time, will get take Talon's place piloting Oscar Deuce One. Lieutenant Spencer Sharpe will act as O'Neill's navigator and weapons officer. O'Neill had the staff cannon removed from the damaged U17C and attached to the top of Oscar Deuce One. The crew chief stated that the additional weight of the staff cannon will make the plane sluggish. However, once the Hellfires have been fired the handling would improve.

As the O-2 aircraft and the flyable UC17C are being repaired, re-armed, and refueled, O'Neill and the other flight crews stand in the Sanctuum command tent listening to Captain Teemurin discuss the latest news about the war.

"The Eastern fleet has been able to halt the enemy advance. By pulling the reserves from the Western and Southern fleets and adding them to the Eastern we were able to halt the advance. This has forced the enemy troop carriers to hold their positions and not cross into Sanctuum. We don't know yet what the outcome will be."

"What about the western front?" Carter asks.

"Without your involvement it would have been lost. With the loss of their capital ships their ability to wreak havoc on the western cities or infrastructure was severely reduced. However, even with those losses they still outnumber our ships over three to one. Fortunately, their firepower is not as overwhelming. Our Western fleet is slowly retreating, trying to take out as many ships as possible. They will attempt to regroup at Raunt'n ridge."

He points to a spot on the map, the same ridge where O'Neill had seen the large mystery ships. O'Neill decides not to mention the strange ships he had seen near the ridge, just in case there are any Urghan spies about.

"The commander of the Western fleet is requesting you return. While the missiles were very effective in destroying the capital ships, the energy weapon appeared to terrify many of the Urghan and Lepronian ships' crews. If you can use them on the remaining ships that might cause a panic and force them to withdraw."

O'Neill speaks English into his radio. "Staff Sergeant Santos, what's the status on the three flyable aircraft?"

After a pause the crew chief's voice comes over the radio. "The staff cannon has been successfully transferred to OD One and tested. Holes have been patched on all three aircraft. No internal or control surface damage found. Fueling now. Will load Hellfires after that. Should be good to go in fifteen or twenty minutes."

"Thanks. We'll be out there shortly. O'Neill out."

Switching back to Themanu he says, "we'll head to grid west five-two and look for the fleet around there. We'll be up in twenty minutes."

"Thank you, Colonel. And to all of you as well. You have provided the edge we needed in this battle."

0

"Uniform Charlie One to Oscar Deuce one, over."

"Oscar Deuce One here, go ahead Carter."

"We're up, climbing to five hundred."

"Good. Once at altitude we'll turn to heading five three degrees and proceed to grid west five-two. Maintain radio silence until we see something. No sense giving the enemy any hints that we're there."