Cafe Tales (Criminal Minds FanFiction)

Disclaimer:

I DO NOT own Criminal Minds. I only own the idea, original characters, blah blah blah.

I hope you all enjoy this. This is my first Criminal Minds FanFiction. Let me know what you think and any criticism you may have. This takes place a while after where they are right now in the show (Season 8 after [SPOILER!] Mave dies.) so if anything is different than the show, that's why.

Chapter 1

My eyes were stuck on the white wall across from me. I was sitting in a hospital bed. All I knew was that I had been shot. There had been a mass shooting and I happened to be in the café. I also happened to be the only one who survived.

The only one who survived any of them. From what I understood, there were at least two other café shootings. No one knew why. It was in DC so most people believed for them to be terrorist acts but I knew better. So did the BAU.

I looked over as I heard a knock on the hospital door. Standing in the doorway were two males. One was attractive and looked like he worked out every chance he had. The other was... Spencer. Spencer Reid. I went to High School with him.

My thoughts were interrupted by the attractive man's voice. "Violet Evans? I'm Special Agent Derek Morgan and this is..."

"Spencer Reid." My voice sounded as if I just woke up. That would probably be because I did.

Special Agent Derek Morgan's eyes moved to Spencer as he cocked an eyebrow. Spencer looked at me and smiled an awkward smile and gave me a just as awkward nod.

"Nice to see you again, Spencer." I said, trying to sit up more but being forced back down as pain shot through my leg. So that's where I'd been shot. I knew I was going to be feeling this for the while.

"Yeah. Nice to see you too, Violet." Spencer gave me another awkward nod then looked at Special Agent Morgan's curious eyes. "We went to High School together. She moved away after..."

"My mom got a job offer." I cut him off. I wasn't about to bring up my past. This had nothing to do with me. I knew that much.

"We're here to ask you a few questions." Special Agent Morgan said, walked over to the side of the bed. Spencer moved to the other side. "What do you remember about the shooting?"

I looked back up at Special Agent Morgan then to Spencer then back to the wall. "Not much. I had gone there to clear my head and get my next chapter done but it didn't help any. I just continued to stare at the blank screen."

I took a deep breath then shook my head. "I heard a shot from behind me and saw the cashier fall to the ground. I stood up and went to run but I heard another couple shots and I fell to the ground. I hit my head and I don't remember anything after that until I woke up in here." I was sure I would feel the pain in my head if I didn't have some kind of pain medication in me.

"Did you see the person's face?" Spencer asked, quietly.

"No. I wasn't particularly worried about seeing his face in that moment. I just wanted to get out of there." My voice was a whisper. "I couldn't leave my son alone in this world."

As if on cue, a four year old boy came running into the room, tears in his eyes. "Mommy!" He cried, reaching to get up on the bed. Special Agent Morgan looked at me questioning and I nodded to him. He picked up the child and put him on the bed.

"Sebastian." I whispered and the boy's arms were instantly around my neck. "I'm okay, sweetie. Don't worry."

Special Agent Morgan looked at Spencer then to me. "We're going to be going now..."

"Actually, I was thinking about staying here. I would like to talk to Violet about something." Spencer spoke and I looked at him, significantly shocked.

"Alright," I could hear the smirk in Special Agent Morgan's voice. I watched him walk out of the room and noticed my nanny in the doorway.

"I'm fine, Marissa. Please, could you give us a minute? Get Sebastian some cookies or something. He's fine here." I watched the woman nod and walk away then my attention turned to Spencer. I smiled gently at him.

"It really is good to see you again." My voice matched my smile and I heard Sebastian's breathing slow down. He was probably sleeping.

"So. You have a son?" He asked, brushing some hair behind his ear. I nodded and started to rub Sebastian's back.

"After I transferred, I had to start from school from fifth grade and they wouldn't allow me to skip grades. My senior year..." I trailed off. I never spoke about this. I normally just said that I got pregnant as a teenager. "I was raped and ended up pregnant. By the time I found out, it was too late to get an abortion. I was put in this position for a reason. I'm not sure of the reasoning yet, but I'm sure that soon enough I'll know." I kissed the top of Sebastian's head and smiled.

Spencer's expression changed completely. "Spencer Reid, are you speechless?" I attempted to make a joke out of all this but I knew that it wasn't working. I could only imagine what was going through his mind right now, and usually I was the only one who knew.

"What happened to the guy?" He asked, quietly. I took a deep breath. I knew that he wasn't going to like this.

"He was never caught." I looked down at Sebastian. I felt bad for him, mostly. He would never know who his father was. He was never going to know how bad of a man he was besides as the 'man who raped my mom.' Even now, at four years old, he was talking about getting revenge on him. "Sebastian knows. I wasn't going to lie to him. He doesn't know exactly what happened because he is too young for that kind of stuff but he does understand that his father was a bad man that hurt his mom."

I felt Spencer's warmth on my arm. "If you need anything, Violet, do not hesitate to call me." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small white rectangular piece of paper. He took out a pen and wrote something down on it then held it out to me. "My cell phone number is on the back. Don't worry about the time or the reason. If you need something, call me."

"How about lunch?" I smiled and looked up at him. I would really like to catch up with him. It's been too long. But I wasn't getting my hopes up. I mean, who would want to have lunch with someone who has a kid. I know that from personal experience. And I also know that if you can't get past lunch, you're not going to make it to dinner. The only difference this time was that I wasn't working toward dinner. I just wanted to have lunch with an old friend. I wasn't expecting anything out of it.

"Sure. That will give me a chance to get to know Sebastian a little better." Spencer smiled a little and walked over to the door. "I'll bring something at noon. Any preferences?"

I couldn't hold back my smile. He'd always been like this. No matter what we were doing, he could always make me smile. Even when we got into a debate. I couldn't help myself from smiling at him.

"Anything is fine. As long as it isn't hospital food." I laughed and he nodded with a smile. Then he left. To be back in six hours with food. Now time to keep myself occupied until then. Sebastian was asleep and I didn't know when Marissa would be back.

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. This sure was a hectic morning.

Authors Note (End): Holy gosh! You have no idea how hard it is to call Reid, "Spencer." I'm so used to Reid and now it's like GAH! But I'll manage for you guys! Please, let me know what you think of the first chapter. We all know by the time Reid makes it back to the BAU, everyone and their sister will know about Reid's new "friend." That and Morgan will blow it out of proportion and probably state that she is more than just a friend XD That's why I love Morgan, though!